'''Basic Trope''': A character (usually TheProtagonist) who [[ShapedLikeItself does heroic deeds]].
* '''Straight''': [[MeaningfulName Hiro]] is the only one that can defeat [[BigBad Emperor Evulz]]. Acting on "[[BecauseDestinySaysSo destiny]]," [[TheChosenOne he]] brings together a team and [[TheLeader leads them on a quest to defeat Evulz's.]]
** He's an InvincibleHero who doesn't need a team.
** Hiro's [[SpotlightStealingSquad the main focus even though this was suppose to be about the whole team]]. The other four are helpless without him.
* '''Downplayed''': ClassicalAntiHero
* '''Justified''': Hiro's [[IncorruptiblePurePureness idealism]] is a rarity in his CrapsackWorld, [[OnlyTheChosenMayWield thus making him the only one who could wield]] the SwordOfPlotAdvancement and help lead the heroes to fight the villains.
* '''Inverted''': TheVillain
** Hiro dies ''[[DroppedABridgeOnHim abruptly]]'' in the first scene.
** Though Hiro's the main character, [[TheLoad he does absolutely nothing]] but hold the MacGuffin. [[TheLancer Lance]] is the true hero and [[TheLeader leader]].
* '''Double Subverted''':
** Hiro dies but the MacGuffin keeps him from dying, and he [[CameBackStrong comes back stronger than ever]], and proving himself to be the hero by fighting off the threat that killed him.
** Hiro was faking to distract attention from himself. While Lance and the rest are out fighting, he is mentally doing heroics with the macguffin via EnlightenmentSuperpower.
* '''Parodied''': Hiro runs across the countryside in gaudy spandex while shouting "I'm the hero!" The locals consider him a public nuisance despite his [[BunnyEarsLawyer strangely high success rate at heroic deeds]].
* '''Zig Zagged''':
** Hiro pretends to be useless so he'll be captured as a means of infiltratin. However, the BigBad only let Hiro escape to carry false information back. ThePlan is useless and, because Hiro suffered a GameBreakingInjury to acquire it, he's back on the sidelines but can still [[HeroicSpirit inspire his teammates to carry on]] and [[TheHeart remind them of their heroism]].
** After hearing that [[BecauseDestinySaysSo he has no control over what happens and is simply playing out his fate (which is to defeat the Big Bad)]], a cynical Hiro leaves TheTeam to [[ScrewDestiny prove that he has complete control over his life]]. He joins a group that doesn't fight the Big Bad but still does heroic things. Then a mentor tells Hiro that he can have a destiny but keep his freewill, that is, "choosing his own destiny". With renewed confidence Hiro leaves his new group and rejoins the fight against Evulz.
* '''Averted''': The story stars a group of people and no one has the spotlight on them because they are a BadassCrew and/or EnsembleCast.
* '''Enforced''': Every single important event in Hiro's life is there for the sake of extending the adventure, even after his original quest is over and even if the original quest was a Fetch Quest.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Why? [[GenreSavvy Because I'm the hero!]]"
* '''Invoked''': Hiro goes out to find the SwordOfPlotAdvancement so he can the be ChosenOne and save the world.
* '''Exploited''': Hiro was DesperatelyLookingForAPurposeInLife and so volunteers to be the hero.
* '''Defied''': Hiro says Emperor Evulz's EvilPlan is [[BystanderSyndrome not his problem]].
* '''Discussed''': "Oh yes, it's you. The one who's gonna save everyone in the end?"
* '''Conversed''': "Here's the part of the episode where Hiro saves the day".
** Hiro becomes extremely tired of saving the world (seeing people die, trying to always escape death while helping his friend do the same) and [[IJustWantToBeNormal just wants to be normal]].
** The other teammates feel useless and un-appreciated because Hiro's always the one to defeat the villain or save the people.
** Hiro's fight against the darkness makes him weary and jaded and so he transforms from a KnightInShiningArmor to a KnightInSourArmor; no less heroic but snarkier. [[HundredPercentHeroismRating All the thanks he receives boosts his spirits.]]
** Despite weariness and his desire for a peaceful life, Hiro knows that he has a fulfilling existence and this knowledge keeps from a depression funk.
** Hiro reminds his teammates that he can't do everthing himself and regularly thanks them for their help. This, in addition to doing a part themselves, keeps them from feeling useless.
* '''Played For Drama''': As a result of Hiro's fight against the darkness, his fight inexorably exposes him to the inherent suffering, death, and tragedy in the world. As a result, it takes its toll on Hiro's psyche, altering his personality (though his core morality is unaffected). These changes turn him into a HurtingHero, ShellShockedVeteran, GoodIsNotNice shadow of his original self. Hiro's love for the world makes him believe that he has to grow apart from it and push people away from him. While he carries a seeming mask of fearlessness, Hiro is always scared because he knows that any misstep could make the next battle his last. After a long struggle against the darkness he [[TakingUpTheMantle chooses a successor to pass his mantle to]]; someone younger and more idealistic like he used to be.
Save the day back at TheHero.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???