'''Basic Trope''': Bob's face is always hidden, either by mask or shadow.
* '''Straight''': Alice meets up with Bob, who hides his face by shadow or mask.
** Bob [[TheBlank doesn't have a face.]]
* '''Downplayed''': Bob's face is seen, but it is often either very rarely seen or partially obscured.
** Bob is TheMole, and needs to hide his identity.
** Bob's identity serves as TheReveal.
** Bob, being self conscious, uses shadows [[Franchise/ThePhantomOfTheOpera or masks]] to hide facial damage.
** The story is being told by a narrator who remembers everything about Bob, except for his face.
* '''Inverted''': Despite being a secret agent, Bob has no issue showing his face.
* '''Subverted''': Bob starts in the shadows, but [[EmergingFromTheShadows later steps into the light]] [[RuleOfDrama for a dramatic face reveal.]]
* '''Double Subverted''': ...only to show [[TheBlank he has no face to reveal.]]
** Bob removes a mask, only to show [[RecursiveReality he wears yet another mask underneath.]]
** Bob removes his mask, revealing the mask is actually [[HiddenInPlainSight a replica of his real face.]]
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob's mask is removed, but it turns out that Bob had an alibi for the last time the mask appeared. Later, the masked person appears while Bob is in the room. Then it turns out that that masked person is also Bob underneath the mask, because they are a CloneArmy.
* '''Averted''': The viewer knew who was the murderer to begin with.
* '''Enforced''': We can't show who TheMole is yet, so we have to have something covering his face.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Is Bob self conscious about his face or something?"
* '''Invoked''': Bob can't reveal his identity, but he still needs to relay an important piece of info to the investigators.
* '''Exploited''': "You wouldn't have investigated the issue if some random guy had just walked up to you and given you the info! Now a [[AddedAlliterativeAppeal mysterious masked man]], that made it interesting."
* '''Defied''': Bob just walks up to the investigators and gives them the info.
* '''Discussed''': "And I suppose whoever gave you that order was standing in a darkened walkway with shadows over his face and a whispery voice, right?"
* '''Conversed''': "Does he have a super power to summon shadows around his face or something?"
Back to TheFaceless
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???