'''Basic Trope''': "The Empire": big, mean, and obsessed with conquest.
* '''Straight''': The Empire of Evulz controls one-fourth of the world's landmass, has the greatest, most ferocious military of all, and a nice standard of living to boot.
* '''Exaggerated''': The Empire of Evulz [[MultiversalConqueror spans entire universes]] - trillions of worlds, all answering to [[TheEmperor one man]].
* '''Downplayed''': The Empire of Evulz is a chain of supermarkets.
* '''Justified''': The Empire of Evulz is sitting on a cache of AppliedPhlebotinum that allowed it to become the most militarily powerful country in the world.
** [[TheAlliance The Troperian Alliance]] is a loose coalition of states and factions fighting for liberation of their lands.
** The Empire of Evulz is fighting for the survival of civilization against [[TheRevolutionWillNotBeCivilized an evil]] LaResistance led by a BarbarianTribe.
** The Empire of Evulz is fighting to protect itís people from the local PeoplesRepublicOfTyranny.
** Troperia is a tiny city-state that would be crushed instantly by just about any other nation.
** "Empire of Evulz" is merely an ArtifactTitle, and the country of Troperia [[VestigialEmpire isn't nearly as huge and aggressive as it used to be]].
** Alternatively, "Empire of Evulz" is, [[IronicName despite the name,]] a ''good'' empire truly caring for the welfare of its citizens and deliberately avoid using iron fisted rules. It's just LaResistance who's [[PropagandaMachine spreading propaganda]] about how 'bad' the Empire is based on the common fallacy/perception of 'Empire = ObviouslyEvil'.
** The Commonwealth of Corruption has the trappings of an Empire (An Emperor, nobility, a strong and powerful military). However, it's governed by a democratically elected parliament, and member states not only have autonomy but ''[[VoluntaryVassal volunteered]]'' to unite under the Emperor. Its goals are peace and prosperity.
** The Empire of Evulz has all the bark about being The Empire, but its military and territory are no greater than those of their neighbors.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** However, it still has economic influence left over from its days of conquest, so it's still one of the major players in the world.
** The Empire only appears to be good, but it is unbelievably corrupt, and is slowly mind raping its citizens into obedience. The Empire's humanitarian nature is [[VillainWithGoodPublicity merely a front]] for the evil it commits behind the scenes. LaResistance are just run by people in on the secret, but because they can't conclusively prove the Empire's evil (or worse, they ''can'', but it benefits LaResistance as well as the Empire to keep the truth hidden), they look like heartless TerroristsWithoutACause blowing up malls ForTheEvulz (or even worse, they ''are'' terrorists for the evulz and the whole thing is an EvilVsEvil situation.)
** The Commonwealth is an oligarchy, with the democratic trappings being just that: trappings. The Emperor is a demon that brainwashed the nation's democratic leaders into serving them so they can rule the nation and eventually sacrifice it to Satan to become an Archdevil.
** An asteroid strikes the world of the Empire, and pieces hit every state on that planet...except the Empire. [[KarmicMisfire Payback is a bitch]], yes?
* '''Parodied''': The Empire is a MicroMonarchy, yet the government still insists that everyone calls it "The Glorious Empire of Evulz".
* '''Zig Zagged''': The conflict runs on GreyAndGrayMorality, so it's not entirely obvious which of the several Empires in the story is ''the'' Empire.
* '''Averted''': A standard space opera [=/=] fantasy tale lacks any Empire, evil or otherwise.
* '''Enforced''': The writer wanted a story with [[BigBad a singular, unified threat to everything the heroes hold dear]], so the Evil Empire fits the bill perfectly.
* '''Lampshaded''': "So, this is a fairly standard conflict: an evil empire bent on world conquest."
* '''Invoked''': [[WellIntentionedExtremist General]] [[TheDragon Drake]] decides that the world [=/=] galaxy needs order. Deciding on the only way he can accomplish this, [[UtopiaJustifiesTheMeans he works to create an Empire]] with his master Evulz as TheEmperor.
** Realizing that the Empire is rising, an industrialist gets in good with the future Emperor. Since the Empire needs a lot of war material for their conquests, the businessman gets rich ''and'' powerful.
** A king with a weak claim to his throne realizes that conquest is a particularly good way to gain a lot of king cred easily, so he goes a-conquering to create his own Empire.
** A group of nations are forcefully united into a single nation by a relatively large one. Looking for a title to elevate him above all the other kings, archdukes, presidents, etc within his nation and get some prestige, the leading King takes the title of Emperor.
** A particularly enterprising general goes to work for the Empire because he knows that with the Empire constantly expanding, he will always have a job.
** TheFederation[=/=]TheRepublic is collapsing as member states are leaving left and right. Realizing that a strong central authority is what is needed to hold his nation together, the federation/republic leader [[Film/RevengeOfTheSith declares himself Emperor and uses his Empire to bring the revolting states in line]].
** During the formative process of, well, TheEmpire, the decision is made to actively ''avoid'' calling it an Empire, to avoid provoking the [[ObviouslyEvil obvious]] [[LaResistance reactions]].
** TheGoodKing attempts to prevent his nation from becoming the Empire, seeing the danger it poses to peace.
* '''Discussed''': "So you're gonna create a massive global superpower that enforces your will with an iron fist? What're you gonna call it, The Empire?"
* '''Conversed''': "Oh c'mon, everyone knows that any nation calling itself TheEmpire is evil and bent on world domination."
* '''Implied''': The Supremacy conquers other worlds, consist of millions of star systems, and commands a powerful military. Their colors are red and black, employ mean looking weapons, and SigilSpam is everywhere.
** The work takes a closer look at the Empire of Evulz, and shows all the trouble the Emperor has to get through to keep it in one piece: keeping down national tensions, [[BalkanizeMe separatism]], [[SleazyPolitician political corruption]], [[ObstructiveBureaucrat bureaucratic inefficiency]], the list goes on and on.
* '''Reconstructed''': After the above troubles threaten to tear the Empire apart, TheEmperor initiates sweeping reforms, shaking up the entire system, causing a period of upheaval and social unrest but ultimately culminating in a government that runs smoother and more efficiently than ever before, while keeping the masses happy with BreadAndCircuses rather than brutal oppression.
All Tropers, sing glory to TheEmpire!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???