'''Basic Trope''': Allies arrive just in time to save the heroes.
* '''Straight''': [[LastStand The heroes are surrounded, facing certain death]]. BigGood comes and smashes the enemy with his troops.
* '''Exaggerated''': The hero, a defenseless LittlestCancerPatient, is about to be nuked by the bad guys. Then, ''they'' are nuked by [[BuffySpeak very high precision nuke thingies]] launched by the good guys.
* '''Downplayed''': The heroes are facing a large number of enemy forces in what promises to be a very close battle. Midway through, reinforcements arrive, and are just enough to tip the odds in the heroes' favor.
* '''Justified''': The heroes set up a LastStand in order to lure the enemy to battle in order to be defeated by TheCavalry.
** The heroes have the BigBad surrounded, and then his army comes and defeats them.
** The heroes are surrounded and fighting to their last, and another division of the BigBad's army arrives.
** See CavalryBetrayal
** The Cavalry were The RedshirtArmy, the result was a CurbStompBattle, and were quickly decimated.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** The Cavalry show up and are quickly decimated, but the spectacle of the rescuers failing allows the heroes to find their second wind, after which both the remnants of the cavalry and the heroes win the battle.
** The CavalryBetrayal results in their capture, and the cavalry hustle them off to safety.
** Many of the soldiers involved in the CavalryBetrayal pull a HeelFaceTurn at the last second.
* '''Parodied''': At the sight of a single horse, the bad guys [[BrownNote wet themselves in terror]] and flee.
* '''Zig Zagged''': But it turns out the dead heroes were OnlyMostlyDead.
* '''Averted''': TheCavalry never comes.
* '''Enforced''': "We've written the protagonists into a corner. We need a way to get them out of danger."
* '''Lampshaded''': "We're surrounded and have no way out. This means that reinforcements should come soon."
* '''Invoked''': The heroes [[EpicHail send]] [[BringNewsBack a message]] to BigGood in order to send in TheCavalry.
* '''Exploited''': The BigBad isn't after the heroes; he wanted to kill the leader of the cavalry, and he knew they would show up if the heroes were in serious danger.
* '''Defied''': "We can't spare any troops to rescue the heroes and risk more losses."
* '''Discussed''': "Only one way we can get out of this one. A bunch of allies arriving just in time to save us".
* '''Conversed''': "Only one way they can get out of this one. A bunch of allies arriving just in time to save them".
* '''Deconstructed''': Many of the heroes die before TheCavalry arrives. Some [[BringNewsBack may have to go]] on a suicide mission to summon TheCavalry.
* '''Reconstructed''': The heroes knew they had little hopes for survival anyways, and make a HeroicSacrifice...
Back to TheCavalry
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???