'''Basic Trope''': When falling, a blade will always land point end in.
* '''Straight''': A sword falls out of the sky, hits the ground at a perfect 90 degree angle point first, and sticks.
** Multiple swords fall from the sky, all sticking in the ground point first at the same angle.
** Alice drops a sword while holding it straight up. It lands sticking out of the ground, point first.
* '''Downplayed''': The sword is thrown and ends up landing in the ground with the point buried but at an acute angle from the ground.
** The blade is a weapon designed to land point first, like a dart is.
** The blade was straight, not spinning, when it landed, making that much more certain the blade lands the right way.
** A throwing weapon ''always'' lands hilt first.
** Swords never land point end in even in circumstances when they should.
* '''Subverted''': A sword falls end over end, but clatters to the ground on its side.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...and hits the ground point first and sticks in on the second bounce.
** A really ridiculous object, such as a staff, snaps to the ground point first like it was magnetized.
** When swords are set down, they stab themselves into whatever they were set on.
** [[KnifeNut Alice]] throws a dagger at [[BigBad Emperor Evulz's]] face, only for it to hit him [[EpicFail pommel-end first]]. It broke his nose on impact, however, causing him to clutch his face and [[MinorInjuryOverreaction make a big deal out of it.]]
* '''Zig Zagged''':
** The sword clatters on the ground, sticks upright on the bounce for a moment, then falls over.
** Variable results for each throw.
* '''Averted''': All swords land realistically.
* '''Enforced''': It's done [[RuleOfCool for dramatic effect]]
* '''Lampshaded''': A character, when asked, shrugs and says: "Swords seem to do that a lot".
* '''Invoked''': Alice runs by where her sword is about to land, knowing it will land point down and can be drawn when she passes by.
* '''Exploited''': Bob can't get close enough to an enemy to attack and doesn't have a ranged weapon, so he throws hs sword knowing it'll be able to stab the enemy.
** Bob intercepts the fall as Alice's sword flies by to prevent it from hitting the ground.
** Bob angrily kicks the sword down flat after it lands perfectly stuck into the ground.
* '''Discussed''': "If this is an adventure story, then supposedly when I throw this sword it will stick over there and quiver dramatically".
* '''Conversed''': "Ever notice how swords always land dramatically point down in this heroic fantasy stuff?"
* '''Deconstructed''': Swords are damaged and dulled by stabbing into the ground.
** The main character gets a new, sharper sword to replace the old one.
** The main character can get away with it because his sword is made of a magically hard metal.
* '''Played For Laughs:'''
** The sword lands point down [[AgonyOfTheFeet on someone's foot]].
** The sword lands point down in ''thin'' '''air'''. Not in the ground. '''Thin air'''.
** No matter what, its completely impossible for any character to drop a sword with anything but the point down.
** Tying two swords together results in them hovering in midair, unable to decide which direction to fall (somewhat like the cat "paradox").
* '''Played For Drama:'''
** The sword lands point down on an innocent bystander and kills them.
** The sword spikes Lord Evulz in the top of the head in the GrandFinale, thus ending the conflict.
Let's go to the Main Page and throw some swords at it. That way, we can find out if TheBladeAlwaysLandsPointyEndIn!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???