'''Basic Trope''': A formerly evil character decides to spend the remainder of their life making up for their evil deeds.
* '''Straight''': Emmett Everson, formerly known as Emperor Evulz, decides to live out the rest of his life atoning for the atrocities he committed during his evil days.
** Emmett once accidentally hurt a puppy. He's spending the rest of his life making up for that.
** Or Emmett was once the evil incarnate in all but in the literal meaning of the word, [[KickTheDog kicking dogs left and right]] with a steel enforced jackboot...and in a single night he turns into a such a paragon of goodness that even Jesus would envy, becomes a patron of orphanage, earns the "Do-Gooder of the Year" award and donates cash like it would be candy and still feels he hasn't come clean and needs to do more work to attain atonement.
** Emmett has always been a hero, but [[AntiHero used morally questionable tactics for a while]]. [[MustMakeAmends He still believes that he needs to make up for it.]]
** Although he's [[ReformedButNotTamed begrudging]] about it, Emmett wants to make up for his mistakes.
** Emmett was never fully evil, just a jerk or a bully. He works on becoming a NiceGuy, including apologizing to anyone he was mean to.
** Emmett wants to show that he's truly reformed, and he feels there's no better way than to become an atoner.
** Emmett genuinely feels bad about what he's done and wants to say sorry in the best way he can.
** He spent his life doing good and found it boring, so he did [[FaceHeelTurn a turn of the face heel variety.]]
** He becomes regretful of doing good deeds, so he spends his entire life to make up for them.
* '''Subverted''': Emmett is pretending to atone for past misdeeds. In truth, he doesn't regret what he's done and his atoner act is simply step one in another EvilPlan.
* '''Double Subverted''': Emmett BecomesTheMask, abandons his EvilPlan, and genuinely atones.
** Emmett keeps changing or stacks the reasons for his atonement, proclaiming that he must atone for every evil deed that he does...even if they would be ridiculously small deeds, like accidentally stepping on a cat's tail or littering.
** Emmett, an AxCrazy SerialKiller, declares he will become good by not swearing when he kills people anymore.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Emmett atones but it's just an act. Then he BecomesTheMask but then he's forced to committ DirtyBusiness and becomes a HeroWithBadPublicity. This causes him to say ThenLetMeBeEvil, until a KickTheMoralityPet starts him up on atoning again.
** Emmett doesn't become an atoner.
* '''Enforced''': "We need this bad guy to show that he's repentant!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "I'm sorry...and what better way to show that than to undo my deeds?"
** "I'm renouncing my life of evil! I'm going to atone now!"
** Emmett is brought BackFromTheDead for the sole purpose of atoning for the mistakes in his life. Bonus points [[ThePunishment if he's unable to die at all until he redeems himself]].
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': Emmett decides not to atone for his crimes, instead serving out a sentence in jail.
* '''Discussed''': "If every evil-doer atoned for their deeds, why do they even need a jail?"
* '''Conversed''': ???
** Emmett is consumed by guilt and [[DeathSeeker thus repeatedly puts himself in danger]] by way of ChronicHeroSyndrome.
** Emmett never really feels like he ultimately atones for his crimes and thus has bouts of depression.
** Emmett joins a team of heroes so he can have plenty of opportunities for atoning and his new friends (and team therapist) help keep him steady.
** "If I spend the rest of my life attempting to make up for all the things I did, and only come a hundredth of the way there when all is said and done... [[TheAntiNihilist It will have been worth it]]."
* '''Played For Drama''':
* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': Emmett isn't one of the heroes. In fact, he's one of the two villains, who is attempting to atone for his role in a religious crusade against a neighboring country by helping them burn his own kingdom to the ground, and the heroes are trying to stop both him and the other villain; the SinisterMinister Claudio, who manipulated the king into starting the war to begin with.
In order to make up for my failures, I will guide you back to TheAtoner.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???