'''Basic Trope''': A character is turned into stone.
* '''Straight''': Alice, a BlackMagicianGirl, casts a spell on Bob Coolson and he turns into stone.
** Alice casts a spell and everyone on the planet except her turns into stone.
** Alice turns a water elemental into a stone elemental with her spell.
* '''Downplayed''': Alice's magic causes paralysis in her victims. They become as immoble as a statue, but are still flesh and blood.
** Alice dislikes Bob, who cannot bother her if he is a statue.
** Alice is some kind of mythical monster whose gimmick is turning people to stone.
** Alice turns herself to stone in order to protect herself from Bob.
** David Atlas [=McMichaelangelo=] is actually a stone statue that can take on a human form.
** Alice can turn stones into people.
** Bob knew about Alice's magic, and has made himself immune to petrification.
** Alice's spell fails to work because Bob is an elemental.
** Bob is still able to move.
* '''Double Subverted''': Bob's clothes are still affected, effectively imprisoning him.
** Alice's spell only takes partial effect; Bob is unharmed but his mineral deficiencies have been corrected.
** Birds poop on Bob.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice changes Bob back to normal just long enough for him to answer a quick question, after which she thanks and re-petrifies him.
* '''Averted''': Alice kills Bob [[PlayingWithFire with]] [[AnIcePerson another]] [[ShockAndAwe method]].
* '''Enforced''': Alice and Bob are in a series that is, naturally, [[MerchandiseDriven Merchandise Driven]]. The toy manufacturers realize it's a lot easier to [[DeadGuyOnDisplay emboss Bob on a plastic rectangle]] than to mold him into something more three-dimensional.
* '''Lampshaded''': Bob is frozen in place with a curiously [[IncrediblyLamePun stony-faced]] expression.
* '''Invoked''': Alice studies the spell because she is vain and likes to have her conquests on display.
* '''Exploited''': Bob lets himself be turned to stone, so that anoher spell [[TheLancer Drake]] cast on him would make Bob [[ElementalShapeshifter a mobile statue and that much stronger]].
* '''Defied''': Alice passes over learning a petrification spell for one that kills people with other methods.
* '''Discussed''': "So she beats people and... turns them into lawn decorations?"
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice comes to realize that petrifying others is a terrible way to solve a verbal conflict and the guilt of Bob's permanent fate catches up with her.
* '''Reconstructed''': Alice overcomes this temporary bout of indecisiveness. She becomes a world-renowned sculptor and her [[HumanResources immaculate works]] are on display in world-class gardens and museums the world over.
* '''Played For Laughs''':
** Other than being a mage, Alice is a painter. When she has to make a painting for someone, she petrifies the subject to make him or her stand still for the best result. She's a world-class thanks to this technique. (Of course she de-petrifies them later, otherwise she will be known as a world-class sculptor and a fugitive.)
** Alice uses her statues as towel racks, hat racks, to tie up clotheslines, for her hammock...
Back to TakenForGranite
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???