'''Basic Trope''': Two characters are in love with each other, but can never be together.
* '''Straight''': Bob and Alice are in love with each other, but can't be together because [[Theatre/RomeoAndJuliet their families]] [[FeudingFamilies hate each other]].
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob and Alice can't be together simply because they are from different schools.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob and Alice can't get together right now because Bob's 19 and Alice is 17 [[JailbaitWait in a society that does not allow adults to marry minors]].
** Alice and Bob have FeudingFamilies.
** Neither Bob nor Alice will willingly be together for fear of harming the other in some way.
** Bob and Alice can't be together because their families get along too well.
** Bob and Alice don't like each other [[ArrangedMarriage but their families want them to be together.]]
** Turns out that the external objections to their relationship are just an excuse, and either Alice or Bob doesn't really want to be with the other and/or are driven only by lust [[GoldDigger or money]].
** Bob and Alice's families dislike the idea of them being together, but it turns out the reason is they thought it was a trap by the other family...
* '''Double Subverted''': ...but they still don't want them together.
** [[AnimalJingoism Bob and Alice are a cat and a dog.]]
** Bob and Alice's relationship is [[EverybodyKnewAlready not really a secret]], and it is blatantly obvious that their families aren't opposed to them being together, they might even outright approve of their relationship. But Bob and Alice still keep sneaking off to meet in "secret" and constantly have long melodramatic dialogues about how no one will ever understand their love.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice and Bob assume thier families will hate each other due to how different they are, and so meet in secret. But then thier families actually meet and hit it off rather well... until eventually an incident sparks an actual feud, driving them into hiding. But then one of the families suggests allowing Alice and Bob to marry as a way of uniting the two families together. Unfortunately the other family my disapproves of the idea.
* '''Averted''': Neither Bob's family or Alice's family minds them being together.
* '''Enforced''': “We need to drum up some drama... I know! Have the OfficialCouple be unable to get together because thier families hate each other!”
* '''Lampshaded''': “Hey, this is just like in Romeo and Juliet!”
* '''Invoked''': [[Theatre/TheFantasticks The families fake the feud to deliberately drive Alice and Bob together.]]
* '''Exploited''': A friend agrees to help hide thier relationship [[OnlyInItForTheMoney in exchange for large amounts of money.]]
* '''Defied''': "Look, the last thing I'd want is for my son to be with your daughter, but as long as they're happy, then let's let them be." (And Alice's family agrees)
* '''Discussed''': “Alice, why can’t we just be together? Why does fate try to drive us apart?”
* '''Conversed''': ”Is it really that big a deal if Alice and Bob are together? I mean, I know their families have been fighting for years, but come on!”
* '''Deconstructed''': Bob and Alice's families go to such lengths to keep them apart, Alice and Bob [[DrivenToSuicide resort to suicide]] so they can at least be [[TogetherInDeath together peacefully in death]].
** Alice and Bob's families eventually realize that their children's happiness is worth much more than their rivalry and allow them to be together.
** Alice and Bob hook up in the afterlife.
This page and the [[StarCrossedLovers main page]] can never be together...
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???