'''Basic Trope''': A person argues s/he is not a bigot because s/he has friends who belong to the group s/he scorns.
* '''Straight''': Alice makes an offensive joke about tropers. When Bob calls her out on it, she retorts that some of her best friends are tropers.
* '''Exaggerated''': Alice demands tropers be rounded up and killed, and uses the example of a troper with whom she had a pleasant four-minute conversation in a bar last week to deflect criticism.
* '''Downplayed''': Alice, generally a PerpetualFrowner, [[PokeThePoodle always glowers a bit more strongly]] whenever a troper comes into the room, and replies to criticism by noting that every single one of her friends is a troper.
* '''Justified''': Alice has had a hard time with tropers for most of her life giving her ingrained prejudices towards them, but has a few troper friends who don't reflect these prejudices.
** Alice mentions the few troper friends she has and Bob calls her out for mentioning them. Then Alice makes an offensive joke about them as a retort.
** Alice glorifies tropers. When Bob questioned it, she retorts that some of her worst enemies are tropers.
** It turns out that Alice really is a troper herself.
** Alice isn't really anti-troper, just bad at jokes.
** "Hey, some of my friends are... You know what, never mind. It doesn't matter because ''I'm not prejudiced''."
* '''Double Subverted''': The next time Alice gets really angry, it's at Alexandra, a troper, whom Alice has always really hated.
** Letter "A" makes an offensive joke about the letter "X". When "B" calls it out on it, it retorts that some of its best friends are "X"s.
** Alice makes an offensive joke about black people and then comments about [[InsaneTrollLogic how she can't be racist because]] [[CloudCuckoolander her best friend is]] Disney/WinnieThePooh.
** Alice says this, unaware that [[NWordPrivileges she's a part of said group]].
** Alice says she can't be racist because her best friend is black and she wouldn't like her if she was racist. Turns out that friend of hers is a BoomerangBigot herself.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Sometimes Alice makes negative comments about tropers that use their identity as part of troper culture as the punchline; other times she doesn't mention that they're tropers at all.
** No one clarifies or apologizes for their offensive jokes.
** No one makes any offensive jokes.
** Alice only says some of her best friends are tropers because Bob said he doesn't know any tropers, so Alice wanted to say she does know some.
* '''Enforced''': "We need a quick and easy way to portray the anti-troper as a hypocrite."
* '''Lampshaded''': "I've heard so many closet anti-tropers use that line."
* '''Invoked''': Alice makes friends with tropers to make use of that excuse.
* '''Exploited''': Alice makes sure to know exactly how many troper friends she has to defend herself if she says something untoward.
** Alice makes no attempt to defend herself from scorn, as everyone in the room knows that none of her friends are tropers.
** Alice doesn't say what she thinks about tropers out loud.
** Alice is about to use this StockPhrase, but decides that it would be too cliche and uses something else to her defense instead.
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': "Is Alice's head all right?"
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice's troper friends stop being her friends when they hear about the offensive joke Alice made.
* '''Reconstructed''': Alice's friends know that she was just joking.
* '''Played For Drama''': A troper murders Alice over the offensive joke.
Back to SomeOfMyBestFriendsAreX
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???