'''Basic Trope''': A scheming villain whose fatal flaw is overconfidence.
* '''Straight''': Eugene has the skills and the potential, but his ego gets the better of him, ultimately leading to his downfall.
* '''Exaggerated''': Eugene is a megalomaniac and [[AGodAmI considers himself a god]], which leads him to grossly overestimate his abilities and fail spectacularly.
* '''Downplayed''': Eugene is quite an intelligent villain, however he would be a more effective one if he had a smaller ego.
** Eugene [[FreudianExcuse was mocked and teased viciously all throughout his youth]], so he began to develop a big ego as a psychological defense mechanism.
** Eugene was subtly pushed into a place of power by [[TheManBehindTheMan several unseen masterminds]]. Not realizing their involvement, he assumes he got there by virtue of his own skill, and becomes arrogant as a result.
** Eugene is a villain with no self-esteem.
** Eugene is a scheming villain that always assumes the best out of his opponents; therefor, he [[CrazyPrepared always plans accordingly to not be surprised by any of them]]. [[ProperlyParanoid There is no little enemy, after all]].
** Eugene ultimately decides that his objective is more important than his pride.
** Eugene learns from his mistakes and becomes less smug in the process.
** Eugene is a InsufferableGenius that proves to succeed despite his ego.
** Eugene can back up his ego and is completely justified in his self-confidence.
* '''Double Subverted''': But then Eugene compulsively tries to defend his pride, which leads to his demise.
* '''Parodied''': Eugene is a street criminal who sets a house on fire out of a dare from his friends, [[HoistByHisOwnPetard and he dies in the fire.]]
* '''Zig Zagged''': Eugene outwardly appears to be a sleazy arrogant jerk...but then it turns out that he was just a nice guy all along. Then it turns out that ''that'' Eugene was just a robot...then the real Eugene reveals himself, and he's a sleazy arrogant jerk...but then the heroes fatally wound him in a fight, and he says that he was just pretending to be a sleazy arrogant jerk before dying. But then it's revealed that ''that'' Eugene was a stunt double, and the real Eugene comes out and has a VillainousBreakdown because you destroyed all his robots and stunt doubles, but refuses to back down because his pride is at stake. The heroes brutally slaughter him.
* '''Averted''': Eugene lacks the charm and grace of a MagnificentBastard, but he has a normal-sized ego.
* '''Enforced''': "I'd like my villain to be a contemptible, unlikable bastard. Let's give him an inflated sense of self-worth so the audience will ''want'' him [[BreakTheHaughty to be beaten]]."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Man, Eugene, you've got some serious ego issues."
* '''Invoked''': Eugene lacks the charisma of a MagnificentBastard and hints that he might be arrogant, too.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': Eugene is a KnightTemplar who has no sense of self-worth, devoting his cause to what he believes to be the greater good for the people, rather than himself.
* '''Discussed''': "Well, of course Eugene is an egotistical JerkAss."
* '''Conversed''': "Is it really all that impossible for Eugene to do something for someone else rather than for himself?"
* '''Deconstructed''': Eugene's ego and arrogance leads to him becoming a GeneralFailure.
** ...But then he masters his ego and becomes a successful MagnificentBastard and PresidentEvil.
** [[CrazyAwesome It turns out that his outrageous confidence in himself was why his best plans would work.]]
Back to SmugSnake
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???