'''Basic Trope''': A charecter's sanity begins to slip.
* '''Straight''': Bob starts losing his sanity over lenghty period of time.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob becomes an OmnicidalManiac within a day.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob starts hearing voices in his head after a matter of months.
** Bob got poisoned with mercury, which can cause insanity.
** Alternatively, Bob was already insane, but lost or ran out of his medication.
** Bob is going or has gone through a pretty brutal TraumaCongaLine, and loses touch with reality as a way of coping with his misfortune.
** Mental illness runs in Bob's family. The symptoms don't start to show until adulthood.
** Bob had a PersonalitySwap with somebody who was insane, or borderline insane.
* '''Inverted''': Bob starts out insane and becomes more normal as time goes on.
** Bob goes insane, and then becomes sane.
** Or, he found his medication or got a refill.
** Bob appears to have gone insane, but it was just an [[ObfuscatingInsanity act.]]
* '''Double Subverted''': ...And then he becomes insane again.
* '''Parodied''': Bob believes that somehow, somewhere... a duck is watching him.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob slips into and out of sanity.
** Bob is completely sane and never becomes crazy.
** Bob has always been insane to begin with.
* '''Enforced''': "Crazy Bob is just [[EnsembleDarkhorse more popular]] then sane Bob."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Is it just me, or is Bob acting stranger then usual?"
** Bob's mental illness is genetic and he got it from one of his parents.
** Bon was a drug abuser and his lifetime of drug abuse caused brain damage.
* '''Exploited''': Bob's hallucinations tell him the future, and he uses this to save lives.
* '''Defied''': [[MadnessMantra "I'm not going crazy, I'm not going crazy,]] [[RuleOfThree I'm not going crazy!"]]
* '''Discussed''': "Bob seems a little [[NotHimself different.]]"
* '''Conversed''': "Why is it always the [[BewareTheNiceOnes nice ones]] who go nuts or are badass?"
* '''Implied''': Bob seems normal, but the show gives off subtle hints he might not be as mentally well as everyone thinks.
** All the people Bob once knew and loved are now scared of him and don't trust him because of his slipping sanity.
** Bob is put away in a mental hospital.
** Bob's family and friends decide instead of avoiding him they should help him regain his sanity.
** Bob is declared not a threat to himself or others.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Bob's craziness is nothing more then saying stuff that doesn't make sense and doing silly things.
* '''Played For Drama''': Bob goes nuts, and becomes a SerialKiller and kills his loved ones.
Back to SanitySlippage
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???