'''Basic Trope''': A character (usually male) is seen crying, but immediately denies it.
* '''Straight''': Alice catches Bob crying, but Bob insists that something is in his eye.
* '''Exaggerated''': Alice catches Bob pounding his fist on the floor, intensely wailing, torrents of tears running from his eyes, and Bob still insists that something's in his eye.
* '''Downplayed''': ???
** Bob doesn't want to be seen crying because MenDontCry.
** Alternatively, there's a grain of sand literally in Bob's eyes.
** Bob is embarrassed that he got sand in his eye by accident, and tries to cover it up by saying that he's crying.
** Bob's eyes are watering, and Alice asks, unironically, "Sand in your eye?"
** Bob tries to make up an excuse, but Alice tells him that it's OK to cry.
** There actually ''is'' something in his eye.
* '''Doubly Subverted''': Even though he appears to accept crying as OK; he still rubs his eyes and insists that there is sand in his eyes.
* '''Parodied''': Bob is seen crying, and denies it by saying that something is in his eye. As it turns out, there really was something in his eye.
* '''Zig Zagged''': There ''is'' sand in Bob's eyes, and it's so painful, Bob cried.
* '''Averted''': Bob flat out admits that he's crying.
* '''Enforced''': "If people see this character crying, they'll think he's weak." "Have him say that something's in his eye."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Lemme guess... there's something in your eye, isn't there?"
* '''Invoked''': Alice throws sand in Bobs eyes to make it look like he was crying.
* '''Exploited''': Claris, who made Bob cry in the first place, continued to torment him knowing he can't tell anyone about it.
* '''Defied''': Alice, understanding Bob's situation, comforted Bob and told him it's alright.
* '''Discussed''': "Why is it that they always say that something's in their eye? Can't they just admit that they're crying?"
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Deconstructed''': There really is sand in his eyes; he's not actually sad about anything.
* '''Reconstructed''': When he starts to cry, he clandestinely throws sand in his eyes.
Back to SandInMyEyes
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???