'''Basic Trope''': A turtle can take off its shell.
* '''Straight''': [[FunnyAnimal Pokey the Turtle]] can take his shell off to reveal GoofyPrintUnderwear.
* '''Exaggerated''': The shell is something like a mobile home, complete with fridge, TV, bathroom, TheCouch, etc.
* '''Downplayed''': ???
** The turtle has been altered by scientists, and as such is capable of removing its shell when no other turtles can.
** It is a turtle-like alien creature rather than being actually the same kind of animal as our turtles (though the human characters and audience still think of it as a "turtle." The "removable shell" is an example of the creature shedding like the skin of a snake or a cicada.
** The turtle is a member of a species that evolved from turtles, and their "shells" are actually ceremonial armor that they wear for religious/cultural reasons.
** Harry the Hermit Crab is unable to remove his shell, even though they can in real life.
* '''Subverted''': Pokey gets his shell taken off, but reveals another shell. [[OverlyLongGag May keep going]].
* '''Double Subverted''': But it turns out that the first shell was fake, because Pokey wanted to prank his friends into thinking he could regrow shells.
* '''Parodied''': Pokey ends up naked without his shell and walks around embarrassed trying to hide his nudity before he can reclaim his shell or obtain a replacement.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Some turtles can remove their shells, others can't.
* '''Averted''': Turbo does not remove his shell, either because [[TruthInTelevision he can't]], or because he just doesn't.
* '''Enforced''': "It'll be funny and cute to see [[TurtlePower a turtle]] take his shell off!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "But if you can take your shell off, where does your spine go?" "Kid, I have no idea."
* '''Invoked''': Pokey gets really hot on a summer day.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': Pokey is too embarrassed to take off his shell.
* '''Discussed''': [[SeinfeldianConversation "If a turtle loses his shell, is he naked or homeless?"]]
* '''Conversed''': "In cartoons, usually naked. In real life, dead."
* '''Deconstructed''': Pokey is able to take his shell off only because he lost his natural one and has a synthetic replacement. Removing it is very painful, leaves him paralyzed and, unfortunately, occasionally necessary for maintenance needed to keep him alive.
* '''Played for Drama''':
** A CrushParade lands on the shell, and Pokey must find a new home.
** Having been genetically altered by scientists to display this trait, Pokey is rejected by other turtles, and becomes a magnet for curious people, who won't stop taking his shell off, sometimes not returning it, and having deadly results by them now that all turtles they meet are mistaken to have his ability.
Back to RemovableShell
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted a Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played for Laughs''': ???