'''Basic Trope''': A hero does what he do because of being told.
* '''Straight''': Bob works for HeroesRUs, but he will never take the initiative of saving the world without orders.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob works for HeroesRUs, but you can rob a bank in front of him, it's not his job to stop this.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob's primary motivation for going out of his way to fight crime is his paycheck from HeroesRUs, but if crime is happening right in front of him he'll stand up to it regardless.
** If Bob showed initiative, the results would be worse than letting the evil alone.
** Independent heroism is not allowed in Bob's world.
* '''Subverted''': Bob works for HeroesRUs, but the chief gives him no orders when the BigBad rears his ugly head. He decides to unleash himself anyway to save lives.
* '''Double Subverted''': After he beats the BigBad, the chief punishes him for acting without orders.
* '''Parodied''': "Eh, Bob, HeroesRUs is a serious company! Yes, you will save the world from Doctor Villain but you need to submit your Saving The World Plan to us and have it approved by all executive directors!"
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob decides to act "off the clock" to stop some bad guys but, as it turns out, he gets overtime so he still ends up being paid for his service.
* '''Averted''': Bob is a Volunteer Superhero who cooperates with a non-profit superheroing agency.
* '''Enforced''': The production insist that heroes must be a kind of super-police force, no vigilante putting themselves above the laws.
* '''Lampshaded''': ???
* '''Invoked''': Bob is uneducated and unskilled but has superpowers. HeroesRUs is the only job he can find.
** Doctor Villain waits til after the working day ends to commit his crimes, and Bob isn't allowed to do a thing about it.
** "How much do you think Bob is willing to be paid to [[FaceHeelTurn throw away his morals?]]
* '''Defied''': Bob quits HeroesRUs in disgust after he is told not to stop crimes while not on assignment.
* '''Discussed''': Bob is a typical superhero but he discusses the possibility of being a superhero as a full time job with his SideKick.
* '''Conversed''': A couple of comic fans discuss the morality of Bob's character.
* '''Deconstructed''': Bod is introduced as an apathetic hero but it's revealed that earlier in life Bob genially cared about helping others as a hero, but after [[NoGoodDeedGoesUnpunished several good deeds bite him back]] and [[TheBadGuyWins watching several tragedies]] even though he tried his hardest to prevent them [[FailureHero to no avail]], [[CynicismCatalyst he lost his way]] and believes in SafetyInIndifference.
Quittin' time boys! We only had to save the world once today, let's go back to PunchClockHero.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???