'''Basic Trope''': A villain refuses to do something horrible, not out of kindness, but because it's a stupid thing to do.
* '''Straight''': The city of Cort surrenders to Emperor Evulz, and he orders that the inhabitants be spared. When asked why, he replies that it will give other communities the incentive to surrender.
* '''Exaggerated''': Evulz ends up [[AntiVillain doing massive amounts of good accomplishing his goals]]. After all, his troops need good roads to travel efficiently and the trade funds them, good supply of medical care and giving it away [[VillainWithGoodPublicity gets him their loyalty and demonstrates a great deal of intelligence]]. [[WellIntentionedExtremist Only his questionable but]] [[IDidWhatIHadToDo expedient actions]] make him qualify as a villain. Without those he'd be nearly saintly.
* '''Downplayed''': Evulz gives his perceived enemies quick deaths instead of wasting time torturing them, because it's a waste of his time and torture doesn't get good information anyways.
** Evulz is a VillainWithGoodPublicity and [[SlaveToPR needs to keep it that way]].
** Hey, Evulz is a pragmatist. His society is set up around doing the extreme that needs to be done, for which most view him as evil, but he's by no means going to do anything negative just for the hell of it.
** Evulz can only do so much evil before the civilians will either revolt or get wiped out.
** Evulz has a [[VisionaryVillain far greater goal]].
** Evulz is StupidEvil.
** Jay-ko is a PragmaticHero who is willing to ShootTheDog if it benefits the greater good.
** Evulz claims he's only sparing the people of Cort to make other communities surrender, [[NobleDemon but it's really because he isn't as evil as he claims]].
** Evulz appears to being ready to spare the people of Cort, then slaughters them
* '''Double Subverted''':
** Evulz really was doing it for pragmatic reasons, but eventually realized that playing the part of NobleDemon would give him more leverage and decided to pretend his "real" reasons were moral all along.
** Only because Evulz knew they were [[ISurrenderSuckers feigning surrender]].
** Slaughtering the people of Cort was an idea of one of Evulz's StupidEvil subordinates, whom Evulz executes.
* '''Parodied''': Evulz never actually does anything evil at all, and in fact donates regularly to charity and helps old ladies cross the street, but keeps up with the EvilGloating as he does so, gleefully pointing out to anyone who will listen how these acts of kindness ''totally'' further his evil goals.
* '''Zig Zagged''': It's hard to tell whether or not Evulz is acting out of pragmatism or [[NobleDemon genuine goodness]], with plenty of evidence for both.
** Evulz is highly intelligent, but he has a [[HairTriggerTemper bad temper]] that [[KickTheDog drives him to acts of]] StupidEvil. As such, how pragmatic his plans are depends on how frustrated and overly sadistic he's feeling today.
** Evulz does unspeakably malicious things ForTheEvulz.
** Evulz is a StupidEvil CardCarryingVillain
* '''Enforced''': The fandom is infamous for tearing apart StupidEvil. The executives know their audience well affecting the plot accordingly.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Mr. Mayor, I may be a brutal conqueror, but I'm not a fool".
* '''Invoked''': Evulz has studied the behaviors of other villains to see where they went wrong, and resolves not to make any of their mistakes.
** When the heroes point out Evulz [[CutLexLuthorACheck could make more money by going legitimate]], he does so, and ceases to be a threat to the heroes.
** Evulz's [[TheGoodChancellor advisor]] appeals to his sense of practicality to restrain him from crossing the MoralEventHorizon.
* '''Defied''': Evulz is a crazed, sadistic [[TheMadHatter lunatic]] who ''loves'' being a crazed, sadistic lunatic.
* '''Discussed''': "One reason Evulz is so dangerous is because he doesn't do evil deeds when there's no point".
* '''Conversed''': "''Finally'', a movie villain who acts rational!"
* '''Deconstructed''': Evulz is such a SlaveToPR, the other villains mock him for it.
** But Evulz has shown that he's EvilerThanThou and [[TheReasonYouSuckSpeech verbally rips through]] the rest of them on how StupidEvil [[CardCarryingVillain Card Carrying Villainy]] is, proving that he's closer to his goals than anyone else.
** Alternatively, not being StupidEvil means that he willingly follows the "unwritten rules" of the setting--rules that prevent anybody who considers himself "good" from applying ThisMeansWar and go full-on "[[KillThemAll Scorched Earth]]" on his organization. As such, every decision he's done follows a tenet of ultimate pragmatism: his assured continuous survival. And the fact that he continues to live on--maybe even becoming the SeriesMascot or an EnsembleDarkhorse--where every other villain buys the farm from the KnightTemplar hordes is all the gloating he needs.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Evulz is essentially a humanitarian, but the heroes considered him a criminal mastermind by shouting "[[YouMonster That monster,]] how dare he feed those starving orphans and build houses for the homeless!"
* '''Played For Drama''': Because of how cunning Evulz is, and because he doesn't play the VillainBall, the heroes have a hard time facing him without ruining their own image as well.
Back to PragmaticVillainy
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???