''The DepartmentOfRedundancyDepartment did not tag this Playing With page. We apologize for any inconvenience.''
'''Basic Trope''': A character who can manipulate fire.
* '''Straight''': Bob can breathe fire and shoot fireballs.
** Bob can take on the very form of fire.
** Bob creates a fireball so big it burns everything in the universe.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob can increase the ambient temperature to high, but not burning, levels.
* '''Justified''': Bob is a dragon.
** Bob can stab foes with [[AnIcePerson icicles]] or create [[MakingASplash tsunamis]]
** Bob can only put out or repel fires.
* '''Subverted''': Bob appears to be able to shoot fireballs, but it's actually a flamethrower.
* '''Double Subverted''': But then he gains real fire control abilities.
** Bob uses his ability to control fire for trivial purposes.
** Bob is a FieryRedhead in a universe with PersonalityPowers - and he keeps throwing insults at those who say he's too [[StealthPun hot]] tempered.
* '''Zig Zagged''': ???
* '''Averted''': Bob has no magical powers.
* '''Enforced''': "Fire is cool, and we want our hero to look cool, so let's give him the fire powers."
* '''Lampshaded''': [[LethalChef "...let's not have barbecue again..."]]
* '''Invoked''':Bob went to a school to learn how use fire.
* '''Exploited''': WhenTreesAttack... they're pretty much screwed.
** Bob learns other abilities so he doesn't have to use fire.
** Bob is a mermaid.
* '''Discussed''': "What superpower would you like to have?" "Fire. It's the coolest one."
* '''Conversed''': The hero loves reading comics about Firestarter, the superhero with fire powers.
* '''Implied''': Bob, HeWhoMustNotBeSeen, makes his presence known by leaving burned out houses and forests in his wake.
** Bob has [[PowerIncontinence no control over his abilities,]] and so has to obtain special fire-proof clothing and other items and cannot get close to other people, resulting in depression. Further, his powers result in fires wherever he goes, making him unpopular.
** Alternatively, Bob uses his powers for [[PyroManiac fire-setting.]]
** If Bob gets careless, the flames he generates can quickly spread beyond his control. Even if he has the power to extinguish the blazes he creates, a slight lapse in attention can lead to third-degree burns or worse. (And if he ''doesn't'' have the power to make the flames he creates go away, one split-second instance of misjudgement could result in him accidentally burning down a building.)
* '''Reconstructed''': So Bob went to a school to learn how to control fire.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Bob uses his fire powers to make a barbecue on his hand.
* '''Played For Drama''': Bob spends a long time learning how to use his powers without injuring people.
Be careful! PlayingWithFire can be dangerous.