'''Basic Trope''': A character defends humanity by pointing out its strengths.
* '''Straight''': Aliens want to destroy humanity because HumansAreTheRealMonsters. Bob attempts to convince them otherwise.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob states that humanity is superior to all other species in the universe and is [[CantArgueWithElves morally infallible]].
* '''Downplayed''': Bob tries to convince the aliens that humans, although while selfish idiots, don't deserve to die & do have admirable qualities. Because Bob might be a misanthrope, but that doesn't mean he's a MisanthropeSupreme.
** Aliens have put HumanityOnTrial and Bob is the defense attorney.
** The person giving the speech to the aliens is Creator/PatrickStewart himself, and he simply recites one of his famous speeches from the show (or ad-libs one on the spot).
** Bob tries to convince the aliens, who have come in peace, that humanity deserves to be wiped out.
** Zork tries to convince the humans, who have come to destroy the aliens, that their species has it's strengths.
** Bob can't think of any good reason to defend humanity.
** Bob starts out defending humanity but it quickly turns into a HumansAreBastards speech instead.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** A friend comes up with one at the last minute.
** Alternatively, Bob's honesty encourages the aliens to give humans a chance for redemption
** Alternatively, Bob re-affirms his words despite the lack of reasons by explaining that HumansAreFlawed which makes them as special as they are.
** Alternatively, Bob freely acknowledges that HumansAreBastards, but points out the hypocrisy to [[NotSoDifferent the equally flawed alien]] that wants to wipe us out, who subsequently can't go through with it.
** Bob defends humanity for utterly trivial reasons.
** Bob's speech spirals down into a ShaggyFrogStory
* '''Zig Zagged''': Some of the time, Bob thinks HumansAreBastards, and sometimes he thinks they are worth defending.
* '''Averted''': Bob makes no attempt to argue why the aliens shouldn't destroy humanity.
** "We feel that by explaining how HumansAreSpecial, Bob looks more heroic"
** Or The producers/writers used this chance to point out why HumansAreSpecial as a TakeThat [[TakeThatAudience towards misanthropes who watch the show]].
* '''Lampshaded''': "You're going to give one of those speeches on why humans are great, aren't you?"
* '''Invoked''': As everyone looks properly doomed Bob says "Hey wait, what if I made a speech about the goodness of humanity?"
* '''Exploited''': The characters know that the story isn't going to turn around for the better until someone stands up and gives an inspiring speech first, Bob takes the initiative.
* '''Defied''' :
** Bob decides not to defend humans because they are special in anyway, but because destroying any sapient species is wrong.
** Bob refuses to give such a speech, preferring to simply [[HumansAreWarriors wipe out the aliens who are questioning humanity]].
* '''Discussed''': "Hey what if I tried to reason with the aliens, that might work right?"
* '''Conversed''': "Whenever the aliens invade in movies, there is always someone who will say why we deserve saving."
* '''Deconstructed''': It turns out that Bob is either lying or is clearly deluded.
* '''Reconstructed''': His words still inspire humanity to improve themselves.
Go back to the PatrickStewartSpeech because ''[[Film/StarTrekFirstContact the line must be drawn HEAH!]]''
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???