'''Basic Trope''': The parents don't approve of the LoveInterest.
* '''Straight''': Alice brings Bob over to meet her parents, who act very cold towards him.
** Alice's [[OverprotectiveDad father]] chases Bob away with a gun.
** [[HonorRelatedAbuse Alice and Bob are killed by Alice's parents]].
** Alice is sent by her parents to live with a relative in a foreign country, because they don't want her to see Bob again.
** Alice's parents ''hate'' Bob despite never having met him even once.
** Alice's parents kidnap Bob and send him to a foreign contry to prevent him from ever meeting Alice again.
* '''Downplayed''': Alice's parents would have preferred that she marry Charles instead, but Bob isn't that bad.
** Alice's parents are xenophobic.
** Alice's parents already know Bob, and they know he's a terrible person.
** Alice is already [[ArrangedMarriage betrothed to]] someone else.
** Bob is well into his 20's or 30's, while Alice is still in HighSchool.
** Bob has [[NoSocialSkills no manners or social skills.]]
** Alice is still living with her parents, and therefore still subject to their rules and expectations.
** [[ObnoxiousInLaws Bob does not like Alice's parents.]]
** Alice's parents really like Bob, and encourage her to keep seeing him.
** Alice and Bob are married. Alice wants to divorce Bob, but her parents don't want to let her.
* '''Subverted''': When Alice takes Bob to meet her parents, she warns him that they don't like him. However, Alice's parents are very polite to Bob during the visit.
* '''Double Subverted''': But once he leaves, they have nothing but bad things to say about him.
* '''Parodied''': Alice's parents reject Bob for having a pulse.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice's parents like some of her boyfriends, and hate others.
** Alice's parents really like Bob.
** AliceAndBob are not a couple and/or Alice's parents have never met Bob.
** Alice's social class
** The author remembers this happening to him/her.
* '''Lampshaded''': "But Daddy, he loves me!"
* '''Invoked''': [[FreakyFashionMildMind Bob]] shows up at Alice's house looking like a punk-rocker or other such "undesirable person". (as defined by the likes of Alice's parents)
* '''Exploited''': RomanticRunnerUp Charles kills Bob and frames Alice's parents.
** Alice and Bob's parents make an effort to accept Alice's LoveInterests just the way they are, and get to know them before judging or critiquing them.
** Alice disobeys [[SelfMadeOrphan or kills]] her parents.
* '''Discussed''': "Now, I have to warn you, baby, my parents are tough to impress."
* '''Conversed''': "What the hell does it matter what Mr. and Mrs. Troper think of Bob, as long as he loves Alice?!"
** They may be making a rush to judgment, based on Bob's appearance or social class or simply out of concern for Alice.
** Alice starts hating her parents for it.
* '''Reconstructed''': But Bob proves what a good person he is, and proves his love for Alice, and her parents eventually accept him.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Alice's father [[JerkAss slams the door in Bob's face.]].. Don't worry! [[IronButtmonkey He'll be fine!]]
* '''Played For Drama''': Alice suffers HonorRelatedAbuse for getting together with Bob.
Back to ParentalMarriageVeto
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???