'''Basic Trope''': The parents don't approve of the LoveInterest.
* '''Straight''': Alice brings Bob over to meet her parents, who act very cold towards him.
** Alice's [[OverprotectiveDad father]] chases Bob away with a gun.
** [[HonorRelatedAbuse Alice and Bob are killed by Alice's parents]].
** Alice is sent by her parents to live with a relative in a foreign country, because they don't want her to see Bob again.
** Alice's parents ''hate'' Bob despite never having met him even once.
** Alice's parents kidnap Bob and send him to a foreign country to prevent him from ever meeting Alice again.
** Alice's parents reject Bob for having a pulse.
* '''Downplayed''': Alice's parents would have preferred that she marry Charles instead, but know of other men who are worse than Bob.
** Alice's parents are xenophobic.
** Alice's parents already know Bob, and they know he's a terrible person.
** Bob is well into his 20s or 30s, while Alice is still in HighSchool.
** Bob has [[NoSocialSkills no manners or social skills]].
** Alice is still living with her parents, and therefore still subject to their rules and expectations.
** Alice's parents want her to remain single.
** Alice and Bob are of different social classes.
** Bob is sterile, and Alice's parents [[IWantGrandkids want to have grandchildren someday]].
** [[ObnoxiousInLaws Bob does not like Alice's parents]].
** Alice's parents really like Bob, and encourage her to keep seeing him.
** Alice and Bob are married. Alice wants to divorce Bob, but her parents don't want to let her.
** Alice's daughter, Carol, [[DisappearedDad doesn't want her single mother to marry]], perhaps because she's used to their [[OnlyChildSyndrome one-on-one relationship]].
** When Alice takes Bob to meet her parents, she warns him that they don't like him. However, Alice's parents are very polite to Bob during the visit.
** Alice respects her parents' wishes and breaks up with Bob.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** But once he leaves, they have nothing but bad things to say about him.
** [[DeathOfTheHypotenuse Alice's new boyfriend David dies]], and Alice gets back with Bob against her parents' wishes.
* '''Parodied''': ???
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice's parents are selective. They like some of her boyfriends, hate others, and want Alice's sister Claire to remain single no matter what.
** Alice's parents get along with Bob.
** Alice's parents have never met Bob.
** AliceAndBob are not a couple.
** The author remembers this happening to them.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Look, I know you hate Bob, but we're getting married anyway. And there's nothing you can do about it."
* '''Invoked''': [[FreakyFashionMildMind Bob]] shows up at Alice's house looking like a punk-rocker or other such "undesirable person", specifically so Alice's parents will hate him.
* '''Exploited''': RomanticRunnerUp Charles kills Bob and frames Alice's parents.
** Alice's parents make an effort to accept Alice's LoveInterests just the way they are, without judging or critiquing them.
** Alice [[SelfMadeOrphan murders her parents]]. With them out of the picture, she can marry Bob without hassle.
** Alice never lets her parents meet Bob.
* '''Discussed''': "Now, I have to warn you, baby, my parents are tough to impress. Maybe we shouldn't visit them until after the wedding."
* '''Conversed''': "What the hell does it matter what Mr. and Mrs. Troper think of Bob, as long as he loves Alice? It's Alice's choice, after all."
* '''Implied''': AliceAndBob never visit Alice's parents, though they live in the same city.
** They may be making a rush to judgment, based on Bob's appearance or social class or simply out of concern for Alice.
** Alice starts hating her parents for it.
** Alice's parents attempt to thwart Alice and Bob's wedding, and are arrested.
** But Bob proves what a good person he is, and proves his love for Alice. Her parents eventually come to accept him, though they still wish that Alice had gone with Charles.
** Alice's parents are arrested for attempting to thwart Alice and Bob's wedding, but have a friend who is still plotting to break them up.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Alice's father [[JerkAss slams the door in Bob's face]]... Don't worry! [[IronButtmonkey He'll be fine!]]
* '''Played For Drama''': Alice suffers HonorRelatedAbuse for getting together with Bob.
Back to ParentalMarriageVeto.