'''Basic Trope''': A father is way overprotective of his daughter.
* '''Straight''': Tom regularly threatens the potential boyfriends of his daughter, Alice.
** Tom wields a shotgun at all times, and, when any male so much as shows the slightest bit of interest in Alice, puts the gun to their face.
* '''Downplayed''': Tom is very clear about demanding that potential boyfriends follow his rules or suffer dire consequences, but the rules themselves aren't unreasonable.
* '''Justified''': Tom really wants to protect his daughter Alice from any bad influences; also, he figures that any guy who's man enough to stand up to him is of good stock himself.
** Tom practically pimps his daughter - he doesn't care what ''any'' guy (or guys...or even girls) do with his daughter.
** Alice is an Overprotective ''Daughter''; when any woman tries to date her dad, who's single, she doesn't take kindly to her.
** Alice's ''mom'' is the [[MamaBear overprotective one]].
** Alice, the mom, threatens anyone of Tom's potential girlfriends not to try anything funny to his son.
** Tom is an Overprotective Dad to [[GenderFlip Bob]]. He makes it very clear to Alice that if she tries anything with his son, she's going to regret it.
** Tom is the Overprotective ''Future Son-In-Law''; he threatens Alice to take good care of her boyfriend.
** Tom forces Alice's potential boyfriends to date his daughter or they will suffer the consequences.
** Tom forces Alice to go out and date boys, but Alice [[CelibateHero doesn't want to]].
** Alice's boyfriend, Joe threatens the dad that if he ever takes Alice away from him, he will pay.
* '''Subverted''': Bob shows up to pick up Alice. Tom greets him warmly and doesn't threaten him once.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...But at the end of the date, he takes Bob aside and gives him the "she's my little girl" speech.
** Tom insists on following Alice around on the date to make sure she doesn't do anything funny. Awkwardness ensues.
** Tom doesn't really bear any ill will towards the guys Alice dates, he just plays up the trope and scares the crap out of them [[ItAmusedMe for fun]].
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob shows up to take Alice on a date. Tom greets him warmly and doesn't threaten him. Then, at the end of the date, he walks up to Bob with a stern look on his face...then shakes his hand.
* '''Averted''': Tom is protective of his daughter, but is by no means extreme about it.
* '''Enforced''': ???
* '''Lampshaded''': "Listen, boy, I've got no problem going back to prison."
* '''Invoked''': TwerpSweating
* '''Exploited''': Tom is a MagnificentBastard who wants Alice to actively rebel against him; so he dons the guise of an OverprotectiveDad.
** "And Dad, I swear if you threaten this one, no grandchildren for you whatsoever."
** "Nice bluff there, sweet cheeks. Next time load the weapon you're pointing at my head, it's a little more intimidating."
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Implied:''' While Alice is getting ready, Tom takes Bob aside to have a little chat with him. The conversation is not shown, but by the time Alice is finished getting ready, Bob reappears looking very spooked.
** Tom scares away all of Alice's potential suitors, which causes her to fear the very concept of dating. This, in turn, causes her to die bitter and alone.
** Tom's very concerned for his daughter's well-being; this just means that the AffablyEvil JerkJock Charles is able to get into his good graces (and into Alice's pants) while the JerkWithAHeartOfGold Bob is left out in the cold.
** Bob is outraged at being threatened. When Alice comes back proceeds to bluntly tell her that the date is over before it's even begun because he doesn't appreciate being threatened by people like her father. He then storms out and leaves for good, leaving Tom with egg on his face as Alice proceeds to [[CallingTheOldManOut yell at him for ruining her date.]]
** Bob is so terrified by Tom's threats that he swears off all further thoughts of dating Alice. By the time Tom decides that Bob is worthy of dating Alice, it's too late.
** Tom scares away all of Alice's potential suitors...except one. Through his dogged determination, he's able to eventually win Tom over, which causes them to have a lifelong friendship.
** Due to his concern however, Tom gradually gets suspicious of Charles when he seems ''too'' nice, and runs a check on him. Soon afterwards, Charles [[PapaWolf gets his ass kicked]], and Tom ends up finding Bob is a much nicer person then he gave him credit for soon after.
* '''Played For Laughs''':
** Alice has been married to Bob for about 10 years - and they have kids, but Tom still calls him every day to threaten him with the "she's my little girl" speech.
** Tom is a scrawny, weak, pitiful example of a man, who makes the "she's my little girl" threat to Bob, the star linebacker on the Trope High football team.
* '''Played For Drama''':
** Tom is a working dad and is often away from home - he, in his mind, views that threatening his daughter's potential suitors is a way to compensate. Alice disagrees.
** Bob took Tom's threat so seriously he went to the police and pressed charges on Tom's threats.
Listen son, you seem like a smart kid. That's my baby girl, and if she gets hurt, no one's gonna miss you. I've got a shotgun and a shovel, and I'll bury you myself. So make sure you're back at OverprotectiveDad by a quarter to ten and we won't have any problems, OK?
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???