'''Basic Trope''': A zombie is mistaken for a living human.
* '''Straight''': AliceAndBob are wandering the post-apocalyptic wasteland, seeking food, shelter, clean water, and other people. They come across what looks like an injured person, only for that injured person to attack them.
* '''Exaggerated''': AliceAndBob mistake an entire ''horde'' of zombies for living injured people, in spite of the obvious rotting flesh and ZombieGait.
* '''Downplayed''': AliceAndBob mistake a zombie for a person, but come with their gun raised and they recognize it's not a living person once they get close enough to examine the figure.
** The ZombieApocalypse started in the middle of a [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_walk zombie walk]]
** AliceAndBob SleptThroughTheApocalypse.
** The zombie that attacked them wasn't ''that'' badly decomposed, and looked reasonably like an injured person.
** The zombie is a TechnicallyLivingZombie.
** Alice works at a leper colony, and thinks the zombie is just another patient.
** [[NoZombieCannibals A zombie mistakes Alice for another zombie]].
** A zombie mistakes another zombie for a living human and attacks them.
** AliceAndBob mistake a living person for a zombie.
* '''Subverted''': AliceAndBob quickly notice that the injured person is a zombie and either attack or flee.
* '''Double Subverted''': But they don't notice that Carl has been turned into a zombie and has been with them the whole time.
* '''Parodied''': Alice and Bob --accidentally covered in so much talcum powder they aren't recognized as human by the zombies-- walk around a zombie infested city and [[TakeThat think everyone is being much nicer and cleaner than normal.]]
* '''Zig Zagged''': ???
** AliceAndBob know that the "person" they saw is a zombie and respond appropriately.
** No zombies in this setting.
* '''Enforced''': "We need a good scare."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Oh, crap! That was no injured person. That was a zombie!"
* '''Invoked''': Bob catches, cleans, embalms and dresses a zombie to make it look as lifelike (yet still injured) as possible, even adding a hidden speaker in its throat that says "Help" periodically, all in order to trick his enemies into thinking it's a human needing assistance.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': AliceAndBob decide not to take chances; this could be a zombie, or even bait used by "smart" zombies. So they just continue on their way.
* '''Discussed''': Alice admonishes Bob to be very careful, as zombies and injured people can look very similar and he shouldn't shoot, help, or call attention to himself without first making sure.
* '''Conversed''': "Ever notice how, despite knowing there's zombies out there, characters never notice that they're in front of a corpse when it's a lone zombie?"
* '''Implied''': AliceAndBob walk up to a zombie, and are clearly not scared of it.
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice and Bob would much rather believe that they are being attacked by injured people than that they are zombies, because it would mean they're either insane or in a ZombieApocalypse. This leads to them and most other people being killed because they can't confront the truth. This is a commentary on human culture being (ironically) a dumb horde of zombies unwilling to think differently.
* '''Reconstructed''': Whenever someone first sees a zombie they have to go through a mental process to decide whether they fundamentally do or do not accept that the person before them is normal. Whether they can --quickly -- decide that something is abnormal is the mark of people who do not cling to illusions and can adapt to new situations. Effectively, anyone who can avert this trope (even if their first thought ''isn't'' "zombie" but something else) has a shot at surviving and represents those few people who are not brain eating sheep.
* '''Played For Laughs''': The "zombie" turns out to be someone trying to sell them timeshares.
* '''Played For Drama''': AliceAndBob notice that a) the person is not so much "injured" as "undead" and b) that he/she ''was'' someone close to one or both of them.
Back to NotAZombie
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???