'''Basic Trope''': A message that displays on the game screen but it is still counts as a game over message, triggered by unusual conditions such as failing any objectives that are specific on that mode or level or through glitches. It also carries plot-relevant significance.
* '''Straight''': Overuse of [[EvilWeapon the Sword of Wrath]] results in [[ArtifactOfDoom Hiro becoming corrupted]] and [[FaceHeelTurn becoming far worse]] than [[EvenEvilHasStandards Emperor Evulz would ever consider.]]
** Every chapter has at least two non-standard game over variants. These range from simply consequences of failing and horrible deaths to dramatic divergences.
** Losing to Evulz not only has a different outcome than the others, it has different consequences, as well. Such as [[YourSoulIsMine Hiro's soul being devoured,]] [[JustifiedExtraLives which keeps him from being revived ]][[FinalDeath and forces the player to begin a new playthrough.]]
* '''Downplayed''': Dying to [[FinalBoss Emperor Evulz]] has the same game over montage as usual, except that Hiro's head appears on the pikes as well.
* '''Justified''': Dying there would [[GameplayAndStoryIntegration count as the last sacrifice of a hero needed to break the ward.]]
* '''Inverted''': For every possible death, there is a long HaveANiceDeath-text. Then you die in the hands of Emperor Evulz... and the screen just shows "Game Over".
** Instead of a GameOver, it results in the game switching the player's POV and until Hiro is defeated, you now play as [[EvenEvilHasStandards Evulz]].
* '''Double Subverted''':
** Spending too long at the fake GameOver scene or [[PressXToNotDie failing to take a specific action]] causes the game to end for real.
** Evulz failing to defeat Hiro results in a GameOver scene instead.
* '''Parodied''': Dying to the weakest mook in the game results in a joke montage of them uniting and [[NotSoHarmless taking over the world]]. Alice cuts off the scene with "No, that is bullshit, but still, [[WhatTheHellPlayer how did you lose to them?!]] Evulz didn't even make them for labor, much less combat!"
* '''Zig Zagged''': Evulz doesn't kill Hiro... instead, [[HPToOne he beats Hiro within an inch of his life]] and throws him into a monster-infested dungeon, without any weapons. [[UnwinnableByDesign There's absolutely no way to recover from that,]] so the game's over for all intents and purposes, [[ControllableHelplessness and all the player can do is delay the inevitable.]] However, it's not until Hiro actually dies to one of the monsters that a GameOver screen plays.
* '''Averted''': A ''very'' unusual failure condition (such as [[SidetrackedByTheGoldSaucer gambling into a state of crippling debt]]) still yields the same GameOver screen as running out of HitPoints, without even a cutscene to lampshade it.
* '''Enforced''': "We wanted to prevent the ArtifactOfDoom's overuse, because [[GameBreaker it makes the game way too easy]]. Let's have it turn Hiro into a colossal douchebag who makes even Evulz flinch through the sheer magnitude of his deubachery, and then end the game early!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "Yes, I ''know'' I screwed up. How much are you going to rub it in?!?"
* '''Invoked''': "...I ''cannot'' believe you just did that. ''[[Film/WillyWonkaAndTheChocolateFactory You lose!]]'' [[MemeticMutation Good day, sir!]]"
* '''Exploited''': The main writers spent much time putting details into the game world, so the ones that don't fit into the main story can be hinted at through the game overs.
* '''Defied''': The developers program one single game over screen in, because they don't want to sidetrack the more morbid players by making them want to kill the player character in spectacular ways.
* '''Discussed''': In a game that is aware of its true nature:
--> '''Hiro''': [[BreakingTheFourthWall Hey, player?]] [[WhatTheHellPlayer You sure that you're just really bad at this game and not simply trying to find new terrible fates for me all the time?]]
-->'''Gamer 1''': What on earth did Hiro just do? Did he just turn into the villain?!
-->'''Gamer 2''': Relax. It's not a canon plot twist, it's a game over that incorporates a [[BigLippedAlligatorMoment plot twist never to be mentioned elsewhere]]. Want to see another, even better event like that? Hand me the controller for a sec...
* '''Played For Laughs''': Hiro suffers a DefeatByModesty.
* '''Played For Drama''': The aftermath of the story if Hiro dies to Evulz is even ''worse'' than it would be elsewhere.
Back to NonstandardGameOver
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???