'''Basic Trope''': A male counterpart to a female adventurer that is a total wuss.
* '''Straight''': Bob frequently tags around the ActionGirl Alice on her various adventures, but he's useless in a fight and seemingly has no reason to join Alice.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob is a totally pathetic and useless guy who never helps Alice and [[TheLoad hinders her quests]] more than the ''villain(s).''
** Alice is the superior fighter, but Bob can hold his own in a pinch.
** Bob does not fight in combat. Instead, he is a sniper who assists Alice by shooting down several enemies while Alice handles the rest.
** Bob is a TechnicalPacifist who only uses violence as last resort which is to say, only occasionally.
** Bob has other skills whose values are not immediately visible. Or ''are'' immediately visible, but are unrelated to combat.
** Bob and Alice are in a relationship, and both enjoy the time together, whether Bob is of much use or not.
** Alice is Bob's bodyguard. If she wasn't more capable of protecting him than he was of protecting himself, it would defeat the entire point of ''having'' a bodyguard.
* '''Inverted''': Bob is a BadassBookworm adventurer who is constantly having to bail Alice, a FauxActionGirl, out of trouble.
** Emperor Evulz kidnaps Alice and corners Bob. He's expecting a quick victory, but Bob [[LetsGetDangerous pummels the crap out of him]] with more force than Alice could ever muster.
** Bob is normally a quiet LovableCoward, but when Alice, an ActionGirl, is finally beaten, he [[TheBerserker loses it and pummels the crap out of everyone in the room]].
** Bob was TheMole. He was only pretending to be a non-action guy, so no one would suspect he was behind all those murders.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** It is made explicitly clear that the asskicking was a one-time thing and was Bob's fight-or-flight response working.
** It is then revealed that Alice doubles as Bob's LivingEmotionalCrutch to keep him as his "typical" quiet LovableCoward self.
* '''Parodied''': Bob is completely incapable of doing anything, and would lose a fight to a malnourished three-year old.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob starts out as TheLoad, until Alice gets tired of him and leaves him. But then Bob returns after [[TookALevelInBadass becoming a better fighter,]] that is, until he suffers severely from TheWorfEffect, but Alice decides that she likes him anyway.
* '''Averted''': From the outset, Bob is established as having at least some fighting ability.
* '''Enforced''': "This is the 2000s, so people are expecting a female hero with a useless male sidekick!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "Alice, this is your new partner, Bob. He's...well, he does...OK, he does nothing."
* '''Invoked''': DaChief, seeing that Alice is heading towards CowboyCop territory, intentionally gives her a useless partner to rein her in.
* '''Exploited''': The villain(s) constantly attack and kidnap Bob, knowing that he can't defend himself.
* '''Defied''': After a few adventures in which he only survives by the skin of his teeth, Bob decides to TakeALevelInBadass.
* '''Discussed''': "As long as we take out Alice, we won't have to worry about anything -- Bob is worthless."
* '''Conversed''': "Do you notice those shows where the girl is badass and the guy is totally useless?"
** Having to both save the world and rescue Bob all the time puts an undue amount of strain on her - this causes her to leave the hero business for good.
** Alternatively, Alice realizes that Bob is useless and abandons him at the first convenient opportunity.
** Alice enjoys keeping Bob around because she's taken a shine to him, or he helps her [[MoralityPet keep a sense of perspective]].
** Bob can contribute in other ways.
Back to NonActionGuy
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???