'''Basic Trope''': An unarmed fighter can defeat armed opponents.
* '''Straight''': Dave pulls out a knife and is defeated by Bob.
** Dave pulls out a gun, [[BatterUp a baseball bat]], a sword etc. and still gets defeated by Bob.
** Dave pulls out a ''rocket launcher'' and Bob still defeats him.
* '''Downplayed''': Armed opponents tend to lose, but that's because they're all significantly less skilled than the protagonist. When a competent weapon user shows up, the hero's in trouble.
** Dave doesn't know how to use his weapon properly, while Bob is a highly-trained martial artist.
** Bob has SuperReflexes and easily avoids Dave's attacks.
* '''Inverted''': Knives always beat fists.
** Bob gives Dave a good beating until the latter brings out a second knife and stabs him.
** Dave proves to be better than Bob expected.
* '''Double Subverted''': Bob beats him anyway.
* '''Parodied''': Dave brings so many knives with him that he can't stand up under the weight.
* '''Zig Zagged''':
** Dave keeps pulling out knives, while Bob uses progressively more improbable barehanded disarms to take them away.
** Barring occasional flukes or surprise attacks, the fighter with the superior skill wins, ties going to the one with the knife. Bob the [[SemperFi Marine]] [[CurbStompBattle trounced]] petty muggers coming at him with a knife using only his fists, kills unarmed fanatical cultists trying to do a VirginSacrifice with his combat knife, but loses to Vladimir the Spetznaz coming at him with a knife when he's unarmed. Charlie comes at Dave, both everyman, with a knife after his wife cheated on him with Dave, and easily wins. Every once in a while, an inexperienced fighter gets a lucky hit on an opponent who was way out of his league.
* '''Averted''': Knives and fists are about even, so no one's guaranteed to win based on their choice of weapon.
* '''Enforced''': "We need to show how skilled Bob is in this scene, so let's have him bring down a better-armed opponent with his bare hands."
* '''Lampshaded''': When Dave pulls out a knife, Bob points out that he's better at fighting with his hands.
* '''Invoked''': Bob gives Dave a knife, knowing that he's inexperienced with it and won't be as skilled barehanded.
* '''Exploited''': Bob is secretly MadeOfIron and goes into battle barehanded against Dave, who is armed with a knife. Bob counts on Dave being taken by surprised, allowing for a quick win.
** Dave throws his knife away before the fight.
** Dave gets training in resisting and countering disarms as well as how to use his weapon properly.
* '''Discussed''': Bob explains how better-armed fighters get complacent and make mistakes.
* '''Conversed''': "Hey, this guy just pulled out a knife. Bet you he's about to get his ass kicked."
** Since he can't win in a fair fight, the next time they meet, Dave just shoots Bob from afar or stabs him in the back.
** Bob is skilled at self-defense and martial arts while Dave is just some punk with a knife. While Dave has the weapon, he lacks the training Bob has and is quickly subdued.
* '''Reconstructed''': Bob starts wearing body armor to even the odds when fighting barehanded.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Bob keeps a running tally of how many times Dave's brought a knife to a fistfight. "You're a slow learner."
Back to NeverBringAKnifeToAFistfight.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???