'''Basic Trope''': Characters, places, and/or other things in a work have names derived from music.
* '''Straight''': All the villains are named after bands. The BigBad is only known as the [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_(band) Queen]]. Her servants include [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wings_(band) Wings]], [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duran_Duran Duran Duran]], and [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Dog_Night the Three Dog Knight]].
* '''Exaggerated''': Everything is named after a song. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kmo2ZqS-nE Alison]] and [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQiXQUGbac0 The Pretender]] stand alone against the [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8V0r_sK2fw Space Lord]], and are cornered by his servants [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UyNKAJg9KA Razor Face]] and the [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USfoTGFGARE Black Sheep]] while trying to escape on the [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcD5hLvAruo Last Train To Clarksville]].
* '''Downplayed''': No musical references are used other than songs, bands, albums, or terms that make sense as normal names. You may see characters named [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUdlaLWSVM Layla]], [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW7VnHnX3LQ Mickey]], [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_(album) Gordon]], or even [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4gWeHO0yNk mean Mister Mustard]], or eat some [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Loaf meat loaf]] in [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHnJp0oyOxs Allentown]], but things like [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%27Pau_(band) T'Pau]] or [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGphnDMVDI Nowhere Man]] are unlikely to show up as names.
** The characters heard the songs themselves and decided they would be good codenames.
** The world is literally based on music as a whole, and the names are just confirmations about it.
* '''Inverted''': The characters are named for the various non-musical sounds that people make. [[NoIndoorVoice The constantly loud one]] is named "Shout," [[RamblingOldManMonologue the grumpy one who never stops talking]] is named "Ramble," etc.
* '''Subverted''': At first, there's nobody who's not named after a song/composer/band/instrument, but then one character is named Steve.
* '''Double Subverted''': Steve's dog is named [[Music/SteveVai Vaiper,]] misspelling intentional.
* '''Parodied''':The characters are all named after Music/WeirdAlYankovic songs.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The names of the characters seem like vague references to some songs, but the creator [[LyingCreator changes]] the [[FlipFlopOfGod origin of their names]] in interviews.
* '''Averted''': Naming characters after musical elements is not a particular theme.
** The writer is a huge music buff.
** The characters are the creator's interpretation of the song/album, so their name is in reference to this.
* '''Lampshaded''': The resident MetaGuy says "Like the [[MadLibsCatchphrase band/instrument/song?]]" every time someone says their name for the first time.
* '''Invoked''': A character tells parents that naming their kids after music of sorts will give them special and bizarre abilities.
* '''Exploited''': The BigBad of the series breaks the fourth wall and gets the show in legal trouble in order to force them to change their names and thus further his plans.
* '''Defied''': The characters all change their names or use [[EveryoneCallsHimBarkeep nicknames]].
* '''Discussed''': When the characters learn that everyone in the town they're visiting are all named under a common theme, one character quips "I'll betcha they're all based on music."
* '''Conversed''': "It seems having a musical naming convention is the norm these days." "[[DrinkingGame Take a shot!]]"
Put another dime in the jukebox back at MusicalThemeNaming
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???