'''Basic Trope''': A character is mistaken for a drug addict.
* '''Straight''': Alice, a diabetic, is getting shaky from low blood sugar. She goes someplace private to give herself a dose of glucagon. Bob walks in and thinks she's a heroin addict.
** [[PointyHairedBoss The principal of a school for children with severe medical issues, Bob]] ends up believing that diabetes is just an excuse to get high on insulin and tries to ban it from the school. Despite one fourth of the students being diabetics.
** Bob sees Alice injecting insulin and assumes she's a junkie. He sees her with a cigarette and assumes she's addicted to marijuana. Then he sees her with a bottle of root beer and assumes she's an alcoholic...
* '''Downplayed''': Bob sees a lighter in Alice's purse and assumes she smokes (which he shrugs off, since smoking is of course legal and fairly common). She actually just likes having something to wave at concerts.
** [[PsychicPowers Alice]] was investigating [[FantasticDrug Vision]], a telepathic drug when her mother found it in backpack. She then concludes that Alice's powers came from this in the first place.
** Alice feels ashamed of her diabetes and tries to hide it. Authority figures notice her sneakiness and get suspicious.
* '''Inverted''': Alice is an addict and is going through withdraw after her dealer got busted and she can't get a new supply. Bob thinks her symptoms are from emerging telepathy and gives her the number of a teacher to help her deal with it.
* '''Subverted''': At first it looks like a misunderstanding then it turns out she was an addict all along.
* '''Double Subverted''': However, she is also diabetic, and at the time was only using insulin.
* '''Parodied''': Alice's medicine containers are clearly marked in big red letters, yet Bob '''still''' thinks she's an addict.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Some people recognize Alice's insulin as what it is, other people don't. Bob appears to have a selective memory.
* '''Averted''': Alice is startled by Bob walking in on her. Bob reads the label and apologizes for startling her and leaves her to dose in privacy.
* '''Enforced''': The whole episode is an AuthorTract on [[DrugsAreBad the war on drugs.]]
* '''Lampshaded''': "People always leap to wild conclusions when they see me giving myself an injection. It's like they know more junkies than diabetics."
* '''Invoked''': Bob claims that Alice's insulin is something else to get her in trouble and to allow him to escape.
* '''Exploited''': Charlie takes a photo of Alice injecting insulin to blackmail her.
* '''Defied''': Alice carries around a card/documentation and pamphlets to explain what the insulin is and why she needs to take it.
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice's insulin is taken away/destroyed by a well meaning Bob, causing her to end up hospitalized.
* '''Reconstructed''': Bob's "caught" with the syringes. Rumors that Bob's TheAggressiveDrugDealer who caused Alice to overdose appear.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Alice getting caught taking insulin and shouting "It's not heroin!" becomes a RunningGag.
* '''Played For Drama''': Alice gets in severe trouble because her insulin was mistaken for heroin by an authority figure.
We need talk about your addiction. Head back to MistakenForJunkie to get the help you need.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???