'''Basic Trope''': An Author's pet character created by bad writing, who bends the universe of the story around him or her.
* '''Straight''': In a "Bob The Strong" fanfic, Bob [[DamselInDistress rescues Princess Mary Sue from]] the [[OurDragonsAreDifferent Dragon]] in the first chapter. The [[EverythingsBetterWithSparkles sparkly]] maiden refuses to go back to her castle and follows him instead. In chapter 2, she all of a sudden [[GodModeSue becomes a strong and powerful character]] beyond reason. All the good characters love her and the evil characters hate her. Even though she's a total [[JerkSue bitch]] the narrator tells us she's [[PuritySue pure]]. Within a month of meeting her, Bob dumps Alice to be with his [[RelationshipSue one true love]] (guess who?)
* '''Exaggerated''': Mary Sue is a perfectly beautiful girl with [[RapunzelHair long]], [[WakeupMakeup perfect]], [[YouGottaHaveBlueHair exotically-colored hair]] and [[KaleidoscopeEyes eyes of constantly-changing colors]]. She has [[ImpossibleHourglassFigure a perfectly busty and hourglass-shaped figure]]. At school, [[TheAce she has perfect grades in all subjects and is a star athlete in every sport she tries]] [[InstantExpert from the instant she starts playing]]. She can play any instrument from the moment she picks it up as if she was an expert with it. She is also a perfect artist and singer.\\
Everywhere she goes people bow down before her beauty, skill, perfection, and all around awesomeness. Those few who manage to get her in bed all claim it was [[GoodPeopleHaveGoodSex absolutely completely divine]] [[SexGod mind-blowing sex]]. The canon heroes all treat her as if she was the second coming of Christ. When ever any enemies attack the heroes are usually rendered completely helpless and Mary Sue comes in with her [[CoolSword Blade of the Dragon God]] and eliminates the enemies with out breaking a sweat. She then proceeds to head to the lair of Emperor Evulz and destroy his minions with her [[GodModeSue all]] [[StoryBreakerPower powerful magic]] and then strike down the Emperor in a [[CurbStompBattle curb stomp battle]]. After which she proceeds to slaughter all the prisoners and slaves in the emperors castle then massacre everyone in the castle town on the justification that they MIGHT have sided with him.\\
The canon heroes never call her out on this and instead worship her for this saying it was the right thing to do. The one character who doesn't is looked down upon by the others until they, eventually comes around and worship Mary Sue like everyone else. She then takes control of the empire and uses it to found MarySuetopia and rule it as a goddess forever. See also: ThirtySuePileup
* '''Downplayed''': Sue is great at a lot of things and is the most well rounded, emotionally stable and mentally functioning member of the cast, but they're mostly a supporting character a best, whose main contribution is the occasional RousingSpeech or telling TheHero an old tale from their many travels that helps them accomplish a certain task, serving the plot mostly by being TheHeart or TheAce.
** The character discovered the secret to perfection.
** The character is a RealityWarper who modes and shapes reality to its/her/his liking.
** A character with few-to-no positive traits, intended to be [[HateSink as unlikable]] and [[ButtMonkey as much of a failure]] as possible, who nobody likes.
** Marietta appears in the fan fic intended as comic relief, including her infatuation with Bob the Strong. All the readers find her funny, charming, and intelligent and think that without author manipulation there's no way that Bob would not have seen that she's much better for him than the vain and lazy Alice -- but the author does not perturb the canon pairing, even though Bob has no reason not to prefer the better woman.
* '''Subverted''': As Bob travels to rescue Sue, he gets informed that she's ravishingly gorgeous, and perfect in every way. When he saves her, he sees her as no different than any other girl.
* '''Double Subverted''': ... but she is an AntiSue.
** TheAce (for [[MartyStu male versions]])
* '''Zig Zagged''': A character's Mary Sue traits (or lack there of) vary greatly between different parts of the story.
* '''Averted''': All the characters have significant flaws and undesirable traits, and any focus on a particular character does not interfere with the advancement of the overall plot.
* '''Enforced''': The writer's a beginner who believes that having a likable badass OC would make her story interesting.
* '''Lampshaded''': "OMG IM SO PERFECT!!"
* '''Invoked''': Alice thought it was a great idea to be a Mary Sue, so she did what was necessary to turn into one.
* '''Exploited''': Kie wants X to happen. Knowing that Mary Sue gets whatever she wants no matter what, (s)he tries to make her want it too.
** The plot is to make Mary Sue into a normal character.
** Mary Sue found out the secret for perfection, but thinks that being perfect and [[VictoryIsBoring living a perfect life where everything goes right would be boring]].
* '''Discussed''': "Have you noticed that ever since Mary Sue arrived, all our conversations revolve around her one way or another?
* '''Conversed''': "Blatant Mary Sues are generally a sign of a beginner fanfic writer."
** Everyone in the audience hates Mary Sue ''because'' she is so perfect to the point of becoming unbearable.
** Mary Sue is too perfect to be human and this is because she's not human at all. She's a HumanoidAbomination.
** Because no-one else has the skills she does, Mary Sue is forced to do things that no one else can, from the tedious to the gross to the unpleasant.
* '''Reconstructed''': The character is fun for the audience, see EscapistCharacter.
* '''Played For Laughs''': The ONLY character is named Mary Sue and the entire story is her giving a drawn out monologue about how perfect she is.
MarySue so lucky to be looked back upon!!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???