'''Basic Trope''': Recorded footage is edited to depict a different scenario, instead of what actually happened.
* '''Straight''': The reality show cherry picks from the confession cam, stitches together soundbites to create a storyline and otherwise presents something that's sort of like reality, but not quite.
** The show doesn't even try to pretend that what you're seeing is reality. You can see the cameras, the soundbites are sloppily edited and elements of the footage are obviously faked. Even the girls have noticeably different looks at practically every ConfessionCam scenes.
** Multiple people who were on the show all watch it together in the same room. They are all edited to seem like they are saying mean things about the other people. Even though they each know they they ''themselves'' were edited and didn't say mean things, they still take the footage of the ''other people'' saying mean things entirely at face value and don't consider the possibility that they could have been edited too, ruining their friendship until the obligatory EngineeredPublicConfession[=/=]"finding the unedited tapes where they all say nice things about everyone else" scene at the end where everybody becomes friends again. [[spoiler:This might sound really stupid, but it actually happened in an episode of some TV show.]]
* '''Downplayed''': The show editor cuts a couple of lines from the confession cam scene to hide who the confessor is actually attracted to.
* '''Justified''': The show only has a limited budget and very little time, so it's not their fault that there are some rough edges that just wouldn't work in their un-edited form. They're sacrificing veracity for the sake of telling a coherent (and more engaging) story.
* '''Inverted''': Everything is presented pretty much as is and whenever something is edited, there's a full disclaimer explaining just that what they have to do and the reason why.
* '''Subverted''': It is found out that the 'confession cam' scene was made up of bites stitched together, but later the full footage is revealed and is exactly what the stitched-up version suggests it is.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...but the whole 'confession' was actually fake, because the person doing it was told to tape 'something they would never say' and did exactly that.
* '''Parodied''': Intentionally using frankenbites or doing a very poor job of ManipulativeEditing.
* '''Zig Zagged''': ???
* '''Averted''': Nothing is edited, all of the footage is just dumped on-screen as it was shot.
* '''Enforced''': ???
* '''Lampshaded''': ???
* '''Invoked''': Someone intentionally does stuff that even the editors wouldn't notice such as wearing identical shirts with a stain or creases in different places, not shaving a part of their face, and then points out the splices.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': ???
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Deconstructed''': The show winds up canceled due to the Manipulative editing or the creators wind up sued when the truth of what happens comes out.
* '''Reconstructed''': [[NoSuchThingAsBadPublicity But then it winds up getting ratings ''because'' they do it.]]
This page has been so heavily edited that you might have a more real experience if you return to the main page for ManipulativeEditing.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???