'''Basic Trope''': A character stays with their significant other despite their major, major flaws.
* '''Straight''': Alice is dating Bob, who is violent, abusive, and drinks like a fish. She stays with him because she truly loves him.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob beats Alice bloody and has nearly killed her on more than one occasion, but she sticks with him.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob is kind of a jerk, but Alice stays with him.
** Bob really does have a very deeply HiddenHeartOfGold, and Alice is trying to bring that out of him.
** Alice has incredibly poor self-esteem and thinks she can't do any better.
** One or both grew up in a household where their parents were going through a similar situation, so they think it's normal.
** Bob is forcing Alice to stay through bribery, blackmail, and/or intimitation.
** Alice and Bob are in an ArrangedMarriage and if she leaves him, her family will disown her.
** Alice's parents [[ArrangedMarriage arranged]] the matched and brainwashed her into overlooking all of Bob's faults no matter how severe.
** Alice thinks she deserves it.
** Alice hallucinates during Bob's displays of his abusive nature and has no idea of what's going on.
** Alice is too stupid to comprehend what's going on.
** Every time Alice thinks about leaving, Bob says or does something that changes her mind because he's a ManipulativeBastard or because he really does care but has anger issues and is mentally unstable.
* '''Inverted''': Bob is a saint, but Alice refuses to stay with him because she thinks she doesn't deserve him.
* '''Subverted''': Alice puts up with some of Bob's shenanigans, but leaves after things get too hairy.
* '''Double Subverted''': Then she comes back after a while, because she feels like Bob needs her.
* '''Parodied''': Bob threatens Alice with a switchblade, beats her silly, and drinks until he blacks out, but she just ignores it for the sake of love...[[MinorFlawMajorBreakup until he leaves the toilet seat up]].
* '''Zig Zagged''': ???
* '''Averted''': Alice leaves after the first sign that Bob appears to be evil.
* '''Enforced''': "Like, [=OMG=]! This fanfic about Bob and Alice is gonna be soooo good! I'll just have her say that she loves him when she gets beaten!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "Let me guess, you love him, right? That's why you keep letting him do that?"
* '''Invoked''': Bob is truly a horrible person, but he makes sure to undermine Alice's self-esteem to the point where she feels like she can't do any better.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': "If you hit me again, I'm gone. I don't care if we're dating."
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': ???
"Why are you going back to LoveMartyr? That's a horrible page!" "No it's not! You just haven't seen the real page, beneath the surface!"
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???