'''Basic Trope''': For whatever reason, the feelings of others don't affect a character.
** Bob sees Alice crying after the death of her father and wonders why she's crying.
** Bob injures Alice without any guilt about it.
** Alice is crying because all of her close family members have died and she's dying of cancer. Bob doesn't understand why she's sad.
** Bob tortures and kills Alice and her entire family. His only regret is not forcing Alice's daughter, the 6-year-old Charlotte, to watch her dog being slaughtered.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob sees Alice crying because her old car is broken. He doesn't understand what the car meant to her.
** Bob is an EmptyShell that can't even feel emotions, making it impossible for him to feel others.
** Bob did something wrong to Alice, but he despises her so much he feels nothing but hate towards her.
** Bob is just a natural-born loner who doesn't [[NoSocialSkills have any social skills]] and only cares about achieving his own goals.
** Bob is ignorant of what and how some things hurt others' feelings badly.
** Bob has a [[AmbiguousDisorder disorder]] of some kind.
* '''Inverted''': TheEmpath
** Bob appears to not care, but it turns out he's just [[JerkWithAHeartOfGold holding all his emotions in]].
** Bob is usually an emotionless bastard, but then he finally [[DespairEventHorizon breaks down and cries]] when he loses his pet.
** Bob can't empathize with people on the emotional level but he can empathize with people on the logical level.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** People think Bob is just holding it in, but [[JerkWithAHeartOfJerk he's not.]]
** And only so he can manipulate people into doing his biding.
* '''Parodied''': Bob goes to a movie that makes everyone cries, and he then says it sucks.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob constantly changes from being a ManlyTears kind of guy, to an uncaring shell.
* '''Averted''': Bob can feel and understand the emotions of others.
* '''Enforced''': "We need a villain that can do the worse things possible, with no regret or mercy."
* '''Lampshaded''': "You don't seem to care about anyone."
* '''Invoked''': Emperor Evulz performs a lobotomy on Bob to take away his ability to feel emotions.
* '''Exploited''': Bob can't feel anything at all, so Evulz recruits him as an assassin who will kill with no regrets.
* '''Defied''': Even if Bob doesn't feel any empathy, he still does his best to sooth Alice's feelings.
-->'''Alice''': "Bob, do you even care about anything?"\\
'''Bob''': "What's caring?"
* '''Conversed''': "Is Bob an alien with no understanding of emotions?"
** Bob's lack of empathy has earned him the reputation of being a sociopath.
** Alice notices Bob's lack of empathy, so she [[BreakTheCutie snaps and beats him senseless]].
** Bob notices his lack of empathy and [[HeelRealization starts to wonder whether he's a terrible person.]]
** But Bob can't empathize why people hate him.
** And the sociopath is the only one who remains loyal to [[HeroWithBadPublicity the hero]] because he can't be swayed by [[MaliciousSlander appeals to emotion.]]
** Bob makes up for his lack of empathy through actual physical action whenever someone is suffering while everyone else [[BystanderSyndrome thinks that their sympathy is enough of a response to other's suffering.]]
* '''Played For Drama''': Bob is a VisionaryVillain who saw people suffering and was inspired to [[UtopiaJustifiesTheMeans create a utopia]] because he believes everyone deserves to be happy. At least, he started out that way: nowadays he cannot see the forest for the trees, willing to sacrifice hundreds, even thousands without a second thought for the 'greater good'. His lack of empathy ironically stemmed from a sense of empathy that could be called overdeveloped.
Back to LackOfEmpathy...but I could care less whether you visit it or not.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied:''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???