'''Basic Trope''': A magic user also happens to be a skilled martial artist.
* '''Straight''': Walter is not only an accomplished spellcaster, but he has a mastery of martial arts as well.
* '''Exaggerated''': Every single magic user in the story is a skilled martial artist, regardless of age or any other limitations.
* '''Downplayed''': Walter is a skilled martial artist and a wizard. But most of his magic is focused on making him faster and stronger.
** Walter took up martial arts because he felt that he couldn't just rely on magic alone in combat. Besides there's always a chance of [[AntiMagic magic being nullified somehow.]]
** Or alternatively, magic has limitations which require the user to be physically fit, so he picked an activity that would also have a use in combat.
** Or in this universe, magic and physical fighting are intertwined so that casting spells occurs simultaneously with punches, kicks, grabs, etc.
* '''Subverted''': Despite his physical prowess, Walter isn't all that good in a fight...
* '''Double Subverted''':
** ...Or so he wants his opponent to believe. Once the enemy lets their guard down, he shows his true power.
** ...at frontal assaults, at least. Switching strategies to using choke-holds and throws works a lot better for him.
* '''Parodied''': An enemy boasts that he cannot be harmed by magic, so Walter punches him in the face.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Walter loses his magic powers and decides to take up martial arts. He becomes a master of them. He later regains his powers and relies on them so much that he forgets his martial arts training.
* '''Averted''': No magic users are martial artists and no martial artists are magic users.
* '''Enforced''': To be able to enter the inner circle of the [[WeirdTradeUnion Wizards Guild]], Walter must defeat a demon using only martial arts and no magic.
* '''Lampshaded''': ???
* '''Invoked''': [[BoxingLessonsForSuperman Walter is advised to take up martial arts to increase his combat skills.]]
* '''Exploited''': ???
** All magic users must take a vow never to fight with anything but their magic.
** Martial artists view magic as a perversion of the art of combat and consider it taboo.
* '''Discussed''': "I always wondered they called Walter "The Lightning Wizard" even though he specializes in [[PlayingWithFire fire spells]]. I guess they were talking about his reflexes and hand-to-hand combat skills."
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Deconstructed''': Walter ends up neglecting his magic for his martial arts training and is [[MasterOfNone less powerful than other wizards magic-wise as a result.]]
* '''Reconstructed''': [[JackOfAllStats Having balanced abilities]] still comes in handy though.
Use your fists or use your mind to get back to KungFuWizard. Really, either works for me.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???