'''Basic Trope''': Heroes can go around taking everything in people's houses without issue.
* '''Straight''': [[MeaningfulName Peter]] [[StephenUlyssesPerhero "Pro" Tagganist]] habitually goes inside people's houses and loots treasure chests inside.
** Pro can't leave a house without taking everything inside, including the wall curtains, the carpeting, the furniture, and the light fixtures.
** Pro ''hauls people's houses'' to his hideout.
* '''Downplayed''': Pro only steals plot items from other people's houses.
** The setting is AfterTheEnd or an equally desolated place; no one lives in those run-down houses anymore.
** Your character is a VillainProtagonist.
** Pro gives something to every single person he meets.
** Pro gets robbed by every single person he meets.
* '''Subverted''': Pro enters someone's house, finds a stash of gold inside a treasure chest... and decides to leave it there because the lady of the house is standing nearby.
* '''Double Subverted''': Then he comes back when the lady is out and takes it anyways.
* '''Parodied''': While warned to not open the box, the contents are actually completely worthless (like a shriveled mushroom) or gross (Boxer Shorts).
* '''Zig Zagged''': Perhaps it's just removing a middleman. There might be a point where, in the story the hero says "Say, we're on a quest to save the world, could we borrow something for our quest?" And the people living there say "Sure, honey, have an [[VendorTrash antidote]]". Taking the item is just avoiding something that slows the pace down.
* '''Averted''': Pro doesn't bother with people's houses. Or there are no houses.
* '''Enforced''': "Towns are nice places to relax. Why not add something extra to it?"
** "Pro, stop that! Are you an adventurer or a thief?" "I thought they were the same thing."
** "You know the law! If it ain't bolted down, too heavy, or on fire, it's fair game!"
* '''Invoked''': In an aversion of NoHeroDiscount, the townspeople inhabiting the houses tell Pro that if he needs anything in his quest to defeat the big evil, he is free to take it. After all it's worth their lives and freedom.
** The VillainWithGoodPublicity spreads rumors of a no-good brigand who goes around stealing things from people's houses wherever and whenever he can. Naturally, when Pro comes to town...
** Well aware about Pro's sticky fingers, a character [[BatmanGambit plants an item in a place he would loot for him to take it]]. (Possibly an ArtifactOfDoom or a ChestMonster if the character is an antagonist, or a ChekhovsGun if he's an ally.)
** Whenever Pro walks through a house's door, the interface changes to something similar to a VisualNovel to interact with the inhabitants, so he can't walk around checking cabinets.
** The inhabitants attack him if he reaches for their treasure or prevent him from doing so somehow.
** towns are a menu screen, your only choices are the armory, the hotel, save, hit the road, and maybe the town dungeon.
** Pro attempts a [[SelfImposedChallenge no theft run]].
* '''Deconstructed''': Pro enters a new town, begins to duck into every house and loot everything he can find... and learns the hard way that burglary is taken seriously in the area as the local law enforcement suddenly corner him and haul him off to jail.
* '''Reconstructed''': After the arrest, the law enforcement realizes that only Pro can save them from an upcoming menace, so they release him and promise a pardon if he can save them all.
* '''Untwisted''': Pro gives something useful to the other person for something useful to him from the other person's house.
Back to KleptomaniacHero... and ''put that 200G back!''
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???