'''Basic Trope''': A character waits for a very, very long time for their beloved to return.
* '''Straight''': Bob goes off to war and is killed; Alice never gets the news and waits at home for years and years for him to return.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob goes off to war and gets killed; Alice is cryogentically frozen so that she can literally wait forever.
* '''Downplayed''': For the duration of the war, Alice holds out hope that Bob might return, but eventually accepts that he is not coming back, and moves on.
** Alice was truly and deeply in love with Bob and feels like life isn't even worth living without him.
** Alternatively: Alice was [[RedStringOfFate prophesied to live with Bob]].
* '''Inverted''': AbsenceMakesTheHeartGoYonder
* '''Subverted''': Alice says she will wait forever, but after a few years finally gives up and begins a new relationship with a man.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** Alice's relationship with the second man fails because she's still in love with Bob, and no-one else can make her happy.
** The second man is actually Bob, finally back from the war, but drastically changed.
** Alice's story sparks a reality TV show where viewers tune in to watch Alice wait for her love, hoping to see the ultimate reunion.
** Bob goes out to the shops and Alice stands on the balcony gazing wistfully after him until he gets back a couple of hours later.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice waits for decades for Bob to come home, but he actually does. However, the next day, Alice is shipped off to war as a nurse, so Bob ends up having to wait around... when she gets back, it's revealed she had left because she'd finally gotten over him, and while overseas she met someone else.
* '''Averted''': Bob is never killed and comes home right after his time in the war is over.
* '''Enforced''': The writer lost a loved one in a war who they are still waiting for.
* '''Lampshaded''': "What are you going to do, Alice, wait around forever?"
* '''Invoked''': Alice and Bob promise each other to wait for the other one forever.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': After a year or so of not hearing from Bob, Alice gets sick of waiting and goes off to look for him.
* '''Discussed''': "You see Alice? She's been waiting for her lost husband for 25 years now..."
* '''Conversed''': "If I went off to war and went MIA, how long would you wait?"
* '''Deconstructed''': The years of waiting with no other contact have taken a toll on Alice's psyche, so by the time Bob does get home, Alice is clinically depressed. Having pinned all her hopes on their relationship, she's built up what has been a fairly minor fling into a Love Story for the Ages, while Bob has seen her as little more than a glorified penpal - the discrepancy causes a lot of tension, with Bob feeling obliged to stay with a woman he doesn't really love because of the sacrifice she made.
* '''Reconstructed''': She may have blown the relationship out of proportion in her mind, but Bob is of a similarly romantic nature and is all the more in love with her for the fact that she waited.
Back to IWillWaitForYou
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???