'''Basic Trope''': A character decides to stop pursuing another romantically so they can be with the one they love.
* '''Straight''': Bob and Charles are in love with Alice. Once Bob realizes she really wants Charles, he stops pursuing her so she can be happy.
* '''Exaggerated''': [[LoveDodecahedron Bob, Charles, and a bunch of guys down to Zeke]] are all in love with Alice. Once they realize she loves Zeke, they all step back and let him have her.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob falls in love with Alice, but calmly accepts it when she tells him she already has a boyfriend.
** Bob's hoping that Alice will see him letting Charles win and fall for him instead.
** There are factors besides Alice's feelings that make Charles more suitable partner. Perhaps Bob has a painful addiction or anger issues. Maybe Charles is rich while Bob is poor, and thus can provide for Alice better. Or maybe Bob's leading a life of crime and doesn't want Alice hurt.
** Bob cares more about Alice's happiness than his own.
** Bob has a rather low self esteem, and despite Alice being one of the few people he feels confident about talking to, he never truly sees himself as somebody who could make her happy.
* '''Inverted''': MurderTheHypotenuse; IfICantHaveYou
** Bob appears to step back and let Charles declare victory, but when he and Alice are alone, he starts trying to woo her again.
** After Bob breaks up apparently gracefully with Alice, [[TantrumThrowing he privately throws things at a wall]] and [[IfICantHaveYou vows revenge]].
* '''Double Subverted''':
** ...Turns out they were just rehearsing a play. Bob really did give up.
** At the end of his private rant, Bob sees Alice enjoying the day with Charles, genuinely happy. He realizes he was being immature and selfish and calms down.
* '''Parodied''': Both Bob and Charles try to pull this, and they get into a knock-down, drag-out fight as to who gets her.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob steps back and lets Charles get Alice, but hits on her when they're alone. Then it turns out they were rehearsing a play. But the reason Bob's performance was so heartfelt was because he still loves Alice...
* '''Averted''': Alice makes it clear from the get go that she's only into Charles.
* '''Enforced''': "Alright, this harem anime is getting close to the end. It's time for Alice to pick her suitor."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Bob's one of those romantics he has it in his head that the other person should be happy, if he's there or not."
* '''Invoked''': Zeke felt Bob needed less distraction in his life, so he set Charles up to appear more ideal to Alice, knowing bob would back off.
** Pretty much the same as "Justified", actually - Bob steps back, specifically so Alice notices and chooses him instead.
** Or Alice/Bob wants to leave their partner (for any reason, ethical or not), so s/he use Bob's/Alice's behavior to separate without much trouble.
** Bob tries to MurderTheHypotenuse.
** Alternately, it ends in an OneTrueThreesome.
* '''Discussed''': "Bob is by far the better choice for Alice. After all, he is willing to give her up just to make her happy!"
* '''Conversed''': "We must be getting to the end of this romantic comedy, because it looks like Bob's about to throw in the towel."
Listen, I've enjoyed my time with you, but I know where your heart longs to be. Go back to IWantMyBelovedToBeHappy.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???