'''Basic Trope''': An average-looking woman (or, more rarely, man) is regarded as absolutely hideous.
* '''Straight''': Alice isn't ugly, but is regarded as ugly.
* '''Exaggerated''': Alice is very beautiful, but is regarded as a example of TheGrotesque.
** Alice has mild acne, but since no other character has acne at all, other characters act as if her acne is severe.
** Alice is regarded as "cute but not hot" and it is acknowledged that she would look good if she'd [[TheGlassesGottaGo lose the glasses]].
** Alice is a regular woman from somewhere out in FlyOverCountry who finds herself in LA for whatever reason(s).
** Alice lives in a society full of people who are more attractive than her.
** Alice is one of TheBeautifulElite, but still feels self-conscious.
** Alice is ugly, but is regarded as one of TheBeautifulElite.
* '''Subverted''': SheCleansUpNicely or is BeautifulAllAlong
* '''Double Subverted''': Alice gets a makeover and/or plastic surgery, and ends up looking worse than before.
* '''Parodied''': People are DrivenToSuicide by the mere sight of Alice, even though she is average-looking.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Some think Alice is a goddess, others see her as an EldritchAbomination
** Alice is one of TheBeautifulElite.
** Alice is a regular woman with regular looks, but is beautiful for her time and place. Maybe even exceptionally so.
** No real commentary (positive or negative) is made regarding Alice's looks.
** A pretty or average-looking actress plays Alice the ugly chick. However instead of just giving frumpy clothes and glasses, they give her a GagNose and tons of warts.
* '''Enforced''': "We need a plain (not ugly, per se, but still nonthreatening) best friend for our female lead."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Dude, Alice is so plain, she's fugly!"
* '''Invoked''': AlphaBitch Betty, being jealous of Alice being quite pretty yet having a boyfriend, starts saying to the public that Alice is ugly.
* '''Exploited''': Claire is SoBeautifulItsACurse, so she hides her looks by making herself look slightly frumpy.
* '''Defied''': Alice does not change anything about her looks, no matter how frumpy they may be.
* '''Discussed''': "You know, Alice, if you put on some makeup, lost a couple of pounds, and put on a new outfit, you'd be hot!"
* '''Conversed''': "Alice isn't ugly! What kind of drugs are you on?! She looks like a regular GirlNextDoor!"
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice feels a lot of pressure to look like the models and actresses in today's media, and has some serious body-image issues. May lead her to such things as eating disorders, excessive plastic surgery, spending money she does not have on trendy clothes, etc.
* '''Reconstructed''': Alice learns that she is not ugly, and goes out to face the world, average looks and all. She makes an effort to look nice and presentable, but does not go to extremes.
* '''Played For Laughs''':
** Everyone teases Alice about her looks as a RunningGag, and she [[BerserkButton gets very angry, possibly even violent]] with them for it.
** See "Parodied" for the BlackComedy version (I'm lookin' at you, FamilyGuy!)
* '''Played For Drama''':
** Alice obsesses over her looks and runs into problems (see "Deconstruction")
** Alice matures and learns that she isn't ugly.
** Alice gets a makeover, but learns that she was never ugly, just plain.
** People's hurtful remarks harm Alice's self-esteem.
HollywoodHomely? But she's [[BlatantLies hideous!]]
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???