'''Basic Trope''': The hero experiences something so mind-boggling that he is temporarily put out of action ([[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death Blue Screen of Death]]).
** Bob discovers that Alice has been killed by Lord Bloodstone and is absolutely shocked to his core.
** Alternatively, it's ''Bob'' who [[MyGodWhatHaveIDone (inadvertently) killed Alice]] while they fight Lord Bloodstone.
** Bob discovers that Alice broke her arm. He stands stock still in the middle of the room, mouth open.
** Bob discovers that Alice just got a minor scratch on her arm. He goes into a coma for eight weeks.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob freezes for a second when he learns that Alice is dead.
** Alice has been Bob's [[ChildhoodFriendRomance trusted friend and confidant for years and a possible love interest.]]
** Alice and Bob [[IfWeGetThroughThis promised each other that they will get out of this situation alive and get married and live a happy life without bloodshed...]] and now Bob just killed her...
** Bob brings Alice back to life and Lord Bloodstone suffers a VillainousBreakdown.
** Bob discovers Alice has been killed and [[BerserkerTears goes into overdrive]].
** Bob is using his BSOD moment to lull Lord Bloodstone into a false sense of security and lowering his guard.
** Bob enters HeroicSafeMode.
* '''Double Subverted''': Except Lord Bloodstone doesn't fall for it and defeats Bob even worse this time, triggering a real HeroicBSOD.
* '''Parodied''': Bob becomes a LargeHam in this instance, falling to his knees, [[RageAgainstTheHeavens cursing the gods]], and letting out a BigNo, because he left the oven on.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The constant battles with Lord Bloodstone have turned Bob into a StepfordSmiler. No-one knows how Alice's death has affected him.
* '''Averted''': Bob uses Alice's death to [[UnstoppableRage fuel his battle fury]] as he charges towards Lord Bloodstone in order to avenge Alice.
* '''Enforced''': "We need some drama here. Let's have the hero's oldest friend be killed, causing the hero to break down out of grief."
* '''Lampshaded''': "So who's got Bob's backup disc?"
* '''Invoked''': [[AndYourLittleDogToo Lord Bloodstone's plans involved killing Alice]], knowing this would mentally and emotionally cripple Bob and leave him vulnerable.
* '''Exploited''': Lord Bloodstone attacks Bob the second he is informed, while Bob is too shocked to beat him.
** Alternatively, Lord Bloodstone kills Alice ''[[ForcedToWatch right in front of Bob]]''.
** Bob's BSOD moment is brief, as Alice faked her death and comes back in time to tell Bob to [[GetAHoldOfYourselfMan get a hold of himself]], bringing Bob back to reality.
** Conversely, the BSOD moment triggers a BattleInTheCenterOfTheMind as Bob wrestles with his feelings of worthlessness. Bob comes out of it a changed man and is ready to restart the battle with renewed vigor.
** Bob doesn't even so much as blink when Alice dies.
* '''Discussed''': "Oh, no... they killed the girlfriend. He's gonna lose it for sure."
* '''Conversed''': "Why is it that just one thing always causes the hero to break down. Don't they expect this sort of thing to happen?
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice's death shows Bob how powerful Lord Bloodstone is and how he can never hope to defeat him. Bob has lost the will to fight. Alice's death has caused him to view himself as a failure, dragging him into a deep depression ending in [[DrivenToSuicide Bob's suicide.]]
** Bob has gone through Hell and back fighting Lord Bloodstone, every fight taking its toll on him. This was the final straw and everyone's aware of it.
** Bob's suicide is an epic TakingYouWithMe attack that catches Lord Bloodstone completely by surprise. If Lord Bloodstone didn't kill Alice, he never would have [[HoistByHisOwnPetard pushed Bob to such lengths.]]
Snap out of it, Troper! We gotta get back to the HeroicBSOD page!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???