'''Basic Trope''': A character pretends to laugh along with the others, then abruptly tells them to shut up.
** Bob asks his boss Alice for a pay raise. She laughs, then suddenly stops smiling and says seriously "No!"
** Bob says to Alice, "Are you angry with me?" Alice laughs, then abruptly stops and says seriously "Yes I am!"
** Bob tells a joke, to which Alice pretends to laugh, and then stops smiling and says "No."
* '''Exaggerated''': Alice laughs with Bob, then stops smiling, [[YouHaveFailedMe pulls out a gun and shoots him.]]
* '''Downplayed''': Alice laughs with Bob, then says "Actually, it isn't really that funny."
** Bob's request was an audacious and silly one.
** Alice was laughing because she was tickled or finished reading a joke or watching something funny right after Bob made his request.
** We expect Alice to react to Bob with anger, or at least a refusal to entertain what he said. She pretends to do this for a moment, and then suddenly starts laughing or says "Yes!".
** Bob poses a request or question that Alice deems he should not even have to ask her. She makes her point by sarcastically pretending to decline or refuse.
** Bob asks his boss Alice for a pay raise. She immediately yells, "No!" and starts laughing.
* '''Subverted''': Alice begins laughing with Bob. Because of the nature of what he said, or Alice's character, we expect her to stop laughing and say "No!" but she doesn't.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...The "No!" comes after all, just later than we expected.
* '''Parodied''': Alice doesn't stop laughing when she says "No!"
* '''Zig Zagged''': Hahahahaha no... HAHAHAHAHA YES! HAHAHAHA but seriously, no.
* '''Averted''': Alice does not laugh, but gives a serious answer without using sarcasm.
* '''Enforced''': "We want a minor version of a HopeSpot, like a simple 'unexpected no'.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Why does Alice laugh before shooting my ideas down?"
* '''Invoked''': ???
* '''Exploited''': Bob films Alice's reactions to various ideas he has, then takes the footage out of context.
* '''Defied''': Alice dislikes getting people's hopes up and gives all answers straight.
* '''Discussed''': "If I ask Alice for a raise, she'll just laugh and then say no".
* '''Conversed''': ???
Hahahahahahahahaha... Get back to [[HaHaHaNo where you came from]]!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???