'''Basic Trope''': Regardless of how many HitPoints you have, this attack reduces you to a few HP from CriticalExistenceFailure.
* '''Straight''': During a boss battle, the BigBad unleashes a powerful attack that reduces the player character's HP to one.
* '''Exaggerated''': All the mooks that can be encountered in an area can also reduce a player's HP to one, and will use this move at every opportunity. Players give up on healing altogether.
* '''Downplayed''': The attack reduces you to 15% of your maximum.
* '''Justified''': The attack was designed to toy with the hero and give him false hope before the finishing blow.
** The spell was designed specifically as LoopholeAbuse for circumventing [[ContractualBossImmunity instant death attack protection wards common to anyone of importance]]. It doesn't kill them.
** The attack is programmed to always do 1 HP of damage.
** The attack [[CastFromHitPoints reduces the user's HP to 1]].
** A healing spell restores HP equal to the target's maximum HP minus one.
* '''Subverted''': The attack reduced you from full HP to 1 HP... Because it's actually a FixedDamageAttack that does (''max'' HP - 1) damage and would've killed you outright if you weren't fully healed.
* '''Double Subverted''': ... but also drops an extra effect that [[CherryTapping knocks the last bit of health off you]] at the end of the turn.
** A bunch of 1s are dropped at the party, reducing their HP to one.
** The enemy has no other attacks and [[CripplingOverspecialization can do nothing but reduce you to one health]]
** [[ShowsDamage Your character's hp is represented as]] ClothingDamage: being hit by this attack reduced him to a precariously placed fig-leaf.
** The enemy attempts this attack in a game where the player character is a OneHitPointWonder. The attack fails.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The said attack may or may not reduce the hero's HP to one.
** The boss did not have that attack.
** It's 'just' a OneHitKill instead.
* '''Enforced''': "This boss has to be hard, but a OneHitKill might be too hard for the players..."
* '''Lampshaded''': [[BreakingTheFourthWall "Twit! I only need]] [[CriticalExistenceFailure one hitpoint]] [[BadassBoast to kick your pansy ass!"]]
** The villain needs the hero as a hostage and uses this spell specifically because it reduces him to the edge of death, meaning he can't try anything funny if he wants to live.
** The SixthRanger uses this spell in order to prove to the hero that [[IfIWantedYouDead if he wanted the hero dead, he would be.]]
* '''Exploited''': The hero unleashes an attack that gets more powerful the less health he has.
* '''Defied''': The boss launches an attack that lowers the hero to one HP, then [[TalkingIsAFreeAction casually mentions that he's not going to let you get away that easily]] and [[CherryTapping hits again for that one last HP]] before the hero can react.
* '''Discussed''': "Watch out there! One more hit, and you're history!"
* '''Conversed''': "Arrgh... ThatOneAttack!!!"
* '''Deconstructed''': The attack involved manipulating the target's biology and thus is an incredibly difficult spell to use. A slight mistake will result in the victim either dying outright or being significantly above one health. As the spell gives them the chance to counterattack even if successful, the spell is soon forgotten for less flamboyant and more convenient magics.
* '''Reconstructed''': The final boss, however, has so much health and regeneration that this spell is the only thing that the party can use to destroy it.
Back to HPToOne. Maybe take a mega potion on your way back...
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???