'''Basic Trope''': A character has a crisis of conscience personified as an angel and a devil.
* '''Straight''': [[TheProtagonist Alice]] has a crisis of conscience. [[AngelicTropes A good angel with wings and a halo]] dressed in [[WomanInWhite a modest white kimono]] appears on her right shoulder, appealing to her good or nice side. A demon with a [[AbsoluteCleavage skimpy]] [[BareYourMidriff top]], fishnet stockings, and a miniskirt and stiletto heels appears on the other, appealing to her selfish or mean side.
* '''Exaggerated''': Other ExpositionFairy type characters (representing all aspects of her personality) appear to offer their two cents.
* '''Downplayed''': Alice either has only one angel or only one devil. She can choose to agree or disagree with either.
** Alice is having a crisis of conscience; caught between what she ''should'' do and what she maybe ''wants'' to do, and this is set InAWorld where everyone's thoughts are little animals when required.
** This is the result of Alice consciously visualizing her internal debate so she can make better sense of it.
** The Devil is the one who gives good advice The Angel is the one who gives evil advice
** The angel and the devil go to her for advice.
** [[TheProtagonist Alice]] has a crisis of conscience. An angel and a devil appear on her shoulders and start arguing about what she should do, but Alice can't see or hear them.
** The angel and devil appear but they say nothing.
** Diabolica raises a valid point, and Angelica takes her side. Alternatively Angelica raises a valid point, and since EvenEvilHasStandards, Diabolica sides with ''her.''
** Alice ''assumes'' they're an angel and a devil but they're actually OrderVersusChaos.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** Alice is pretending she's unaware of them.
** The simple appearance is their argument. It is intended to make Alice think of the choices she has available.
** The one that shrugs says "Just kidding".
** The argument of "society's rules" vs "personal freedom" boil down to similar "selfless vs selfish" as if they were an angel and a devil.
** The appearance of the angels is set up like the beginning of a wrestling or boxing match: "In this corner, from the Superego, representing virtue and selflessness, Angelica! And her opponent, from the Id, representing vice and selfishness, Diabolica!" *ding, ding!*
** The ensuing battle sets Alice's head on fire and she runs away screaming.
** The two characters' fighting literally gives Alice a headache.
** The only character to appear is Diabolica. (Angelica is [[BoundAndGagged duct taped to a chair and gagged]].) [[note]]The alternative is also possible [[/note]]
** The shoulder angels have shoulder angels of their own advising them.
** The shoulder angels that appear aren't Alice's.
** The two angels represent opposite ends of a BlueAndOrangeMorality scale, baffling Alice.
** Alice informs the Angels that she is an atheist, which causes them to be replaced by the hero and villain of a show she likes to watch.
** The angel and the devil both give the same advice to Alice.
* '''Zig Zagged''': ???
* '''Averted''': No conceptual representations of conscience appear on Alice's shoulder or anywhere else.
* '''Enforced''': "We need to show an abstract concept like a crisis of conscience in a way the audience can understand."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Hey Angel, Devil, what advice do you have for me?"
* '''Invoked''': Alice is faced with a tough moral decision to make.
* '''Exploited''': The angel and devil are [[FunctionalMagic illusions cast by a low-level mage]] looking to manipulate Alice.
* '''Defied''': Alice decides for herself, rather than letting an ExpositionFairy make the choice for her.
* '''Discussed''': "Man, I wish we had those shoulder angel things that help you with moral decisions."
* '''Conversed''': "Alice is just staring off into space, muttering to herself. You think she has those two things on her shoulder that tell her what's good or bad?"
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice has a mental disorder. When she tells her family that there is an angel and a devil telling her what to do, the family gets worried and puts her on medication.
* '''Reconstructed''': Alice has a mental disorder and receives counseling from her parents. She just happens to think of her mother as an angel and her father as a devil or vice versa.
* '''Played For Laughs''': The two characters have an EscalatingWar going on, and focus on attacking each other more than helping Alice think.
* '''Played For Drama''': Both raise equally valid points, and so neither one is particularly helpful.
Go back to GoodAngelBadAngel, and add some wonderful examples! '''NO! Blank it out and fill it with filthy words and pictures!''' Don't listen! Make works pages about adorable kids' cartoons! '''Make works pages about hentai and porn! DO IT!''' SugarWiki! '''DarthWiki!'''
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???