'''Basic Trope''': A character embraces an unfamiliar culture they find themselves immersed in.
* '''Straight''': Alice, [[NeverAcceptedInHisHometown Never Accepted In Her Hometown]], is ReassignedToAntarctica, and within a week is wearing the local clothes and well on the way to speaking the lingo.
* '''Exaggerated''': Alice steps off the plane speaking fluent Antarctican and greeting the natives by name, even though she's never set foot there before.
** Alice remains a member of her own culture, but learns about Antarcticans, fosters understanding with the home country and adopts those customs that she finds convenient. A lot of people think her eccentric but none think she is GoingNative.
** Alice dresses up as an Antarctican in a Masquerade ball.
** Alice has been an Antarctophile since a young age, [[ForeignCultureFetish studying their culture and dreaming of living there one day.]]
** Alice is a special agent trained specifically in working with Antarctican allies.
** Alice has been away from her home culture for so long, she slowly acts more and more like an Antarctican through cultural osmosis.
** Alice goes to a town in Antarctica and it morphs into a clone of her home town.
** Alice reacts to her insecurity in an alien culture with CulturalPosturing, becoming an exaggerated stereotype of her countrymen.
* '''Subverted''': Alice has always boasted of her knowledge of Antarctican culture, ordering for her friends at all the cool Antarctic restaurants and musing about how they do everything better there. Two hours after getting off the plane, she's lost and confused and ''cold'' and hates the place with a passion.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...but it turns out that was just a combination of jetlag and cultural readjustment - once she's used to the place, you could mistake her for a native.
* '''Parodied''': Charlie gets fully kitted up in authentic Arabian dress... just to visit his local ethnic food store.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice has never fitted in at home, and always goes on about how much she loves Antarctica. Her boss sends her there, and she regrets it as soon as her feet touch the ground. After a week she's loving it, feeling right at home... but it turns out the locals are all laughing at her clumsy attempts to imitate their culture. She falls in love with a native and implements practices that she thinks will help the locals. They hate her all the more for imposing her values on their traditional way of life, so she swallows her pride and learns those traditional ways of life.
* '''Averted''': Alice goes to Antarctica, but always sees herself as a visiting outsider.
* '''Enforced''': Want a story in an exotic locale with an [[AudienceSurrogate identifiable]] hero, but MightyWhitey is unfashionable? Tone it down a notch by making said hero a big fan of the native culture, who learns as much from them as they do from him and who [[IChooseToStay chooses to stay]] when the story's done.
* '''Lampshaded''': "What do you mean, you're not a local? I thought you'd grown up out here..."
* '''Invoked''': Alice wants to move past culture shock as soon as possible so she follows Candance everywhere and does what she does.
* '''Exploited''': Alice wants the locals to trust her as she scouts out their village for mining opportunities, so she pretends to be falling for their way of life.
* '''Defied''': "Don't worry, I'm not going to end up marrying one of them and running away to be a penguin farmer."
* '''Discussed''': "Alice won't be coming back. Give her a week and she'll think she's one of them"
* '''Conversed''': "How come the Mistrustful Natives always go straight to accepting the Visiting Foreigner like an old friend? You'd think there'd be a pretty long period in between where they thought of him as a slightly odd vague acquaintance..."
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice tries to fit in, but the locals see her as a tourist and her own peers see her as a poser. Her budding romance with a local is frowned upon by their family and her MightyWhitey act doesn't win her any friends either.
* '''Reconstructed''': Alice makes a heartfelt speech to the locals that even if she wasn't born there, she's made friends and set up a home, and although she might never understand their culture as well as a native she can still be part of the community.
* '''Played For Drama''':
** Alice's home country is at war with Antarctica and sent her there as a spy, knowing her studies of the culture will help her blend in quickly. Antarcticans despise Alice's people for waging war on them. While Alice is loyal to her homeland, she also is fond of Antarctica. Either she will [[BecomingTheMask become the mask]] and betray her home in favor of Antarctica, or she'll betray Antarctica out of loyalty to her home.
** Alice fled to Antarctica to avoid a death sentence (or worse) in her native land. If she ''doesn't'' assimilate, it will be all the easier for her enemies to find her.
* '''Played For Laughs''':
** Alice has a crazy ForeignCultureFetish about Antarctica, dresses in Antarctican clothes, eats Antarctican food, and reads Antarctican literature. Then goes to Antarctica and finds them all acting like people from her hometown and laughing at how odd she looks.
** Antarcticans hear Alice is coming to town so they all dress up in stereotyped Antarctican costumes and act like stereotyped Antarcticans. Then they tell Alice that it is the custom to leave ''extremely'' generous tips at all Antarctican restaurants...
Back to GoingNative! If you stay here long here enough you'll think you're OneOfUs PlayingWith Tropers.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???