'''Basic Trope''': Superfluous goggles.
* '''Straight''': A character has goggles that do nothing.
** A character has dozens of different goggles, none of which do anything.
** Or, the goggles do nothing. Not even the thing that they were designed to do.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob is a swimmer in Troperville High School's swim team. His goggles do something. Except he's often shown wearing them when not at the pool.
** The item in question has an archaic use and is kept to identify members of the group that had use for the goggles.
** The character wears goggles purely as a fashion statement.
** The character is in a setting where, although they never use them, the goggles actually make some sense, such as the arctic or the desert.
* '''Inverted''': GogglesDoSomethingUnusual.
* '''Subverted''': After being asked, the character reveals that their goggles do, in fact, have a use.
* '''Double Subverted''': That use is to ''look cool''.
** A character buys special goggles that are advertised to do absolutely nothing.
** A character has goggles that serve to...protect another useless pair of goggles, wearing one pair on top of the other.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The character wears a pair of goggles on their head. Thy do nothing. However, one of their TooManyBelts contains [[UtilityBelt everything they could possibly need]]... including an oxyacetylene torch. When they use that, they're always careful to pull on their goggles to protect their eyes.
** The character needs their goggles for protection in their line of work, and uses them frequently.
** The character doesn't wear goggles.
* '''Enforced''': The marketing department want the artists to maximize TheMerch potential. Alternatively, the artist can draw OnlySixFaces, and uses distinctive costuming to tell his characters apart.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Let me just get some goggles, despite the fact that we will not be encountering any situation where they would help."
* '''Invoked''': Like a stethoscope and white coat for a doctor, useless goggles give the impression of being CrazyPrepared and thus solid hero material.
* '''Exploited''': TheMole places a listening device on the goggles, knowing that Bob always wears them, but never uses them and thus won't spot the bug.
* '''Defied''': A character repeatedly finds [[WhenAllYouHaveIsAHammer different uses for their seemingly superfluous goggles]].
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': "Why's Bob wearing goggles, he NEVER uses them!"
* '''Deconstructed''': A character wears superfluous instrumentation because they are, all in all, a follower and a poser, and it's all just another element of their character that is LostInImitation of heroes who actually had a use for these things.
* '''Reconstructed''': A character uses superfluous mundane goggles to disguise the fact that he has ones that really do have special powers.
You know, if the GogglesDoNothing you might try PUTTING THEM ON for a change.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???