'''Basic Trope''': The hero and villain of a work are seen taking part in leisure activities with one another.
* '''Straight''': On their off-time, arch-enemies [[TheCape Hiro]] and [[BigBad Emperor Evulz]] play chess.
* '''Exaggerated''': Hiro and Emperor Evulz have a full-fledged and successful [[DatingCatwoman romantic relationship]] with one another when they're not trying to take over the world/saving the world.
* '''Downplayed''': Hiro and Evulz are very polite and curteous to one another once they stop fighting but they're not going to be hanging out any time soon.
** Two opposing professionals (athletes, lawyers, politicians, etc.) meet for drinks everyday after work. They're at odds due the nature of their jobs, but they have NO reason to hate nor fight each other while outside of "the battlefield".
** The hero and villain are related or were friends before they got super powers. Despite their obvious differences, they still get together for their weekly chess games.
** They are a PunchClockHero and PunchClockVillain respectively. It's just business. Outside of that, they get along quite well.
** [[TeethClenchedTeamwork Two allies take a moment to fight viciously before going back to working together again]].
* '''Subverted''': Evulz asks Hiro for a game of chess after he puts him in prison but the hero refuses...
* '''Double Subverted''': ... Then he feels sorry for Evulz and decides to play with him, forming a strange bond in the process.
* '''Parodied''': Evulz and Hiro are engaged in a brutal battle for the fate of the universe, neither one giving an inch until... [[PunchClockHero break]][[PunchClockVillain time]]. They stop mid-fight and happily share a lunch together.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Hiro and Evulz start off hating one another and would never dream of hanging out but somehow, both discover their love for chess. After a strange series of circumstances, they start playing with one another and actually start getting along. Eventually, Evulz goes through a HeelFaceTurn due to their friendship.
* '''Averted''': Hiro and Evulz never see each other outside of typical hero/villain fights.
** The writer wants to explore a hero/villain friendship through a mutual interest.
** They are characters in a multiplayer spin-off game, where the roster consist of familiar characters of the franchise (especially given the MinimalistCast and [[FlatCharacter generic roles/underdeveloped conflict]] premises).
* '''Lampshaded''': "It's sad that one of my favorite chess opponents is a bad guy."
* '''Invoked''': They both like chess and neither one has been able to find an opponent who can match them in skill. Why not play each other?
** Evulz is only pretending to be Hiro's chess-partner in order to manipulate him.
** Hiro believes their mutual love of chess will rehabilitate Evulz.
** Playing chess together results in them both evaluating the other's strategies, which makes them both better at pulling a BatmanGambit on the other.
* '''Defied''': Evulz and Hiro both like chess but refuse to play with one another.
* '''Discussed''': Evulz and Hiro discuss their mutual love of chess despite them being enemies.
* '''Conversed''': Fans of the comic have a conversation about Hiro and Evulzs' odd friendship.
* '''Implied''': Hiro's teammates notice he visits Evulz in prison once a week. They speculate they are playing chess due to both men loving the game.
** Eventually, their chess playing interferes with their heroism/world-dominance plans.
** The implicit dissonance of Hiro and Evulz relationship ends up alienating viewers whom consider said bond to be an unrealistic prospect.
** Then they agree to keep their "professional life" separate from their mutual hobby, and keep appointments right up until the day where Evulz is finally put down or redeemed, continuing in the latter case.
** Far from jarring the audience with the sudden civility of their relationship, Hiro and Evulz become more popular and rounded characters as a result of being humanized from their interactions.
* '''Played For Laughs''': After Hiro beats up Evulz, he asks, "So we're still on for out weekly chess game, right?"
* '''Played For Drama''': Both Hiro and Evulz are NotSoDifferent. They are super geniuses and [[FishOutOfWater Fishes Out of Water]] due to their powers, so they have no one else willing or able to play chess on their level.
It's time to stop fighting. Why don't you go GoKartingWithBowser instead?