'''Basic Trope''': A strange thing shows up as a boss during a video game with little context or foreshadowing.
* '''Straight''': TheGrimReaper shows up as a boss in a graveyard level of a platform game when previous enemies haven't been supernatural in the least.
* '''Exaggerated''': The Grim Reaper shows up as a boss in a [[LevelAte dessert level]] in a platform game.
* '''Downplayed''': A NPC mentions seeing TheGrimReaper wandering the graveyard level, but it's not mentioned again after you beat it.
* '''Justified''': The BigBad of the game has the power to summon anything that the player character fears.
* '''Inverted''': You play as the Grim Reaper after spending time as an adorable cartoon animal.
** The Grim Reaper is revealed to be the OneWingedAngel form of the game's BigBad.
** The Grim Reaper turns out to be [[ScoobyDooHoax an ordinary bad guy in disquise]].
* '''Double Subverted''': But on the next to final level, you meet the ''[[TheRealRemingtonSteele real]]'' Grim Reaper.
** The Grim Reaper lampshades his entrance by saying "I am the Grim Reaper from nowhere."
** The player character is knocked insensate by a [[Franchise/TheHitchhikersGuideToTheGalaxy bowl of petunias.]]
** The Grim Reaper shows up as the boss in a setting where you wouldn't expect to see him, such as a soap opera. He even sings a few verses that contains "I came from no where to fight you as a boss, I gain nothing from your loss" in it.
** The Grim Reaper [[BreakingTheFourthWall apologizes for ending up in the wrong game]].
** When the PlayerCharacter is fighting rats in a basement at the start of a game, suddenly an EldritchAbomination comes of nowhere, trying to end the game early.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The Grim Reaper shows up at the end of the game without warning, only for it to be a HopelessBossFight DiscOneFinalBoss. The second disc integrates the Grim Reaper into the plot and sets him up as the BigBad only for an EldritchAbomination to show up just before the big fight, eat the Grim Reaper, and become the actual FinalBoss.
* '''Averted''': All of the bosses fit into the plot.
* '''Enforced''': "This game has pieces of an artifact for the players to collect -- so the Grim Reaper would be a good boss for the game."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Where did that guy come from?"
* '''Invoked''': The BigBad summons the Grim Reaper to defeat the heroes.
* '''Exploited''': The heroes have the BigBad cornered when suddenly the Grim Reaper appears out of nowhere. The BigBad comments on his luck and takes the opportunity to escape.
* '''Defied''': The player character breaks the fourth wall and demands the game use a logical boss.
* '''Discussed''': "Hey, do you remember the Grim Reaper in the desert?" "Yeah, where did ''he'' come from?"
* '''Conversed''': "What's the Grim Reaper doing here? I thought this game was [[SurpriseCreepy about cute little bunnies]]."
* '''Deconstructed''': The Grim Reaper's appearance causes the people of the world to live in constant fear that he -- or another Giant Space Flea -- will pop up out of nowhere and attack them. And with no way to anticipate what kind of threat could come out of nowhere, there's no way to even ''try'' to prepare for it, which doesn't help assuage fears at all.
* '''Reconstructed''': At least one person [[CrazyPrepared takes all the necessary steps]] for when the Grim Reaper pops up.
Hey, GiantSpaceFleaFromNowhere, can you do TVTropes a favor and please return to your main page?
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???