'''Basic Trope''': You can only use a particular skill if you are a particular gender.
* '''Straight''': Alice can cast healing magic. Bob can't.
* '''Exaggerated''': Alice can cast ALL forms of magic. Bob can't even learn one.
* '''Downplayed''': Women are naturally attuned to magic, and can use it almost intuitively. Men ''can'' use it, but have to [[SufficientlyAnalyzedMagic study how it works for years]] to have even a fraction of the power.
* '''Justified''': Magical power was granted to humanity by a Goddess who DoesNotLikeMen.
* '''Inverted''': Using magic [[GenderBender makes men into]] [[MagicalGirl women.]]
* '''Subverted''': Bob is the youngest of seven brothers, and [[MagicalSeventhSon when his own seventh son is born, he turns out to have magical power]], an ancient myth few people believed.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...But the kid [[HowDoIShotWeb struggles to access his power]], and none of the experts know how magic works for men.
* '''Parodied''': The women hide away in [[WomensMysteries midnight cult meetings to practice magic in secret]], while as far as they know their husbands keep occupied by going off to their BrotherhoodOfFunnyHats. The men, meanwhile, spend their time at the Brotherhood practising secret arcane rituals, while as far as they know their wives are off doing some kind of yoga thing.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Magic is first introduced as being female-specific, but when Alice goes out in the world, she discovers that her tribe simply tie magical initiation into their WomensMysteries, and other civilisations only train men in magic, or train both men and women equally, or train them in different techniques; some restrict magic based on a FantasticCasteSystem rather than gender, or only teach those who show a certain aptitude early in life. One thing is constant, though; everyone thinks their method is the only proper one.
* '''Averted''': Both sexes can use magic equally.
* '''Enforced''': It's a book for girls in the "boys are icky" stage of life, which wants to justify the ImprobablyFemaleCast in its ExtranormalInstitute.
* '''Lampshaded''': ???
* '''Invoked''': A witch casts a spell such that men cannot learn them.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': A witch fixed the magic system so that men can learn them as well.
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': "Man why is magic so sexist?"
* '''Deconstructed''': The gender exclusivity leaves the other as exclusively second class citizens - they just can't compete with magic.
* '''Reconstructed''': However the other gender takes up the mundane tasks that can't be done with magic. They have more time for those sorts of things due to not spending time learning magic.
* '''Played For Laughs''': The effects of gendered magic are used for crude jokes. [[FreudWasRight The size of his staff is very important to wizards.]] Meanwhile once a month [[MenstrualMenace witches have their magic go purely destructive.]]
Back to GenderRestrictedAbility, but only if you're a guy.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???