'''Basic Trope:''' An otherwise completely anthropomorphic animal does something that reminds the audience what species he is.
* '''Straight:''' Jeff, an anthropomorphic dog, is hanging out with his human buddies when he suddenly drops everything to chase a cat.
* '''Exageratted:''' Jeff, a sheepdog, is driving his truck down a busy highway, when suddenly he spots a heard of sheep on the hillside, Jeff stops the truck and starts herding the sheep just as his ancestors have done for centuries.
* '''Downplayed:''' Jeff is hanging out at the bar with his friends, halfway between sips of beer he pauses to scratch his ear with his hind foot.
* '''Justified:''' Jeff may be more evolved than other dogs but he is still very much a dog and his instincts have a very strong hold on him.
* '''Inverted:''' A WildChild, who acts like an animal most of the time, sits at a table once and eats off a plate.
* '''Subverted''': Jeff, an anthropomorphic dog, goes to chase a cat, but only to return it to its proper owner.
* '''Double Subverted''': Immediately after, he goes chasing some strays just for fun.
* '''Parodied''': Jeff's urge to sniff people causes a blind date to end prematurely.
* '''Zig Zagged''': At first, Jeff seems on the verge of being nothing more than a two-legged version of a regular dog. As the story approaches climax, he becomes focused and self-controlled. [[MyInstinctsAreShowing Then during the denouement, he starts chasing a cat.]]
* '''Averted''': Jeff does absolutely nothing resembling dog behavior.
* '''Enforced''': "We need more comic relief. Have Jeff randomly start chasing a truck."
* '''Lampshaded''': "I almost forgot you were a dog."
* '''Invoked''': Jeff occasionally relapses into dog behavior as to not forget his roots.
* '''Exploited''': A character uses the sudden onset of dog behavior as a distraction, by suddenly throwing a ball into a crowd of people in plain view of the dog.
* '''Defied''': Jeff rejects all dog-like behavior to be accepted in human society.
* '''Discussed''': "I don't know what you just said because I was watching that ball in your hand. I can't stand it. Aren't you going to throw it?! If you don't, I might go randomly tearing off and chasing a car!"
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Deconstructed''': The constant descent into animal instinct leads to tragedy for the entire species (or the single member shown to act this way) due to hatred and fear against them - after all, if they will randomly start chasing a ball, they'll also hunt things smaller than them, as well as bite if improperly socialized or threatened. People are unsettled and afraid around creatures prone to random attacks of animal-like behavior.
* '''Reconstructed''': The search for self-mastery of one's instincts is a common theme. "I am the master of the ball, not it's servant. I. Will. Not. Chase. It."
Back to FurryReminder
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???