'''Basic Trope''': During therapy, the patient is lying on a couch like the one in Sigmund Freud's office.
* '''Straight''': Bob is talking about his [[MyBelovedSmother mother]] while lying on a fancy couch.
* '''Exaggerated''': The therapist he's talking to bears a [[NoCelebritiesWereHarmed strong resemblance]] to Dr. Freud.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob is slouching, but is still mostly upright on the couch.
* '''Justified''': The therapist wants his patients to be as comfortable as possible, but still wants his office to look nice.
* '''Inverted''': The therapist is lying on the couch telling his problems to Bob.
* '''Subverted''': Bob is lying on a couch in a furniture store, crying ManlyTears and talking about his overbearing mother.
* '''Double Subverted''': The furniture store in question doubles as a psychiatrist's office, and the sales associate is also a fully-certified psychiatrist.
* '''Parodied''': Bob is complaining because the couch is on top of him.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Dr. Freud redecorates his office a few times.
** Bob does not lie on such a couch during therapy, but sits in a regular chair.
** Bob does not go to therapy.
* '''Enforced''': AllPsychologyIsFreudian.
* '''Lampshaded''': Bob points out that he's always lying on the couch during his therapy sessions and likens it to characters in therapy treatment from movies.
** Bob goes to the psychiatrist's office, and is told to lie on the couch.
** When offered eitheir a couch or chair, Bob goes with the couch.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': The office in question has no couch, and the psychiatrist does not believe in Freudian psychology, preferring more modern and accepted theories instead.
* '''Discussed''': Alice and Bob talk about their friend Cecil who is a therapist. Rumour has it that Cecil's patients have to lie on a couch.
* '''Conversed''': "Have you ever noticed that if there is a psychologist who treats people in fiction, the patients will always lie on a couch? What's up with that? Is Freud still so popular?"
* '''Played For Laughs''':
** Bob is whining about something trivial on the couch, such as dropping an ice cream cone.
** Bob gets a little too comfortable and starts falling asleep.
* '''Played For Drama''': Bob is upset over something serious, like being molested by a PedophilePriest during childhood.
Back to FreudianCouch
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???