'''Basic Trope''': Happiness is a good thing that everyone should have as much of as possible.
* '''Straight''': The character is an EthicalHedonist or simply an empathic person.
* '''Exaggerated''': The character is some kind of MarySue who somehow always manage to make everyone happy.
* '''Downplayed''': The character only cares for his loved ones' happiness.
** The character likes happiness (duh!) ''and'' has a good-natured disposition.
** Alternately, she's TheEmpath. Happy people are much more comfortable to be around.
** The character feels other people should never be as depressed as they are, or should be as happy as they are.
** ForGreatJustice ([[BeingGoodSucks whenever it goes against happiness]]).
** HappinessIsMandatory (which eventually does ''not'' result in real happiness)
* '''Subverted''': The character tells everyone, probably including himself, that he is ForHappiness, but is really self-serving or clueless about what make people happy... especially in the long term.
* '''Double Subverted''': The character fails to make someone happy, but it was on purpose as a part of a plan to help the person reaching her own happiness and allowing her to take the credit for it herself.
* '''Parodied''': The character is a endless source of shallow gestures of happiness.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Making Bob happy makes Alice unhappy, making Alice happy makes Steve unhappy, and none of them want to be cheered up anyway, but they actually need it although they refuse to admit it.
* '''Averted''': Meh. We're all gonna die anyway. And besides, hedonists are immoral, aren't they?
* '''Enforced''': ExecutiveMeddling says: Screw DarkerAndEdgier
** "No, Bob. I want people around me to be happy. When my pals are unhappy, I can't be all that happy myself."
** "I swear, every time I see Alice, part of me expects her to start passing out cupcakes..." "Oh, hi Bob! Want a cupcake?"
* '''Invoked''': " [[PreciousPuppy Puppies]], [[CuteKitten kittens]], baby [[EverythingsBetterWithPenguins penguins]]...I think I've got everything I need."
* '''Exploited''': A villain tricked Bob into doing something for him by showing how it will make everyone happy. In reality, it would lead to the apocalypse.
* '''Defied''': "He needs time to process his sadness. And if he can't get the strength stand up to the bully on his own, he never will."
* '''Discussed''': "And there's Alice hard at work trying to reverse frowns."
* '''Conversed''': ???
** Alice avoids [[JumpingOffTheSlipperySlope the above problem]], but develops SamaritanSyndrome as she goes out of her way to cause as much happiness as possible.
** Alice just doesn't get that there are times when people ''should'' be unhappy, and her attempts to get Bob to weather a particularly nasty divorce with a smile on his face and a song in his heart only makes the situation more stressful.
** ...combined with StrawmanHasAPoint
** Bob reminds her that if she focuses on her own happiness once in a while, she'll be in a better frame of mind to help others.
** ...But still, it's not good to swell on the negative so much, and while Alice realizes that Bob is going through a bad time and isn't going to be doing cartwheels any time soon, she does her best to make his life suck a little bit less.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Alice is nowhere to be found. Bob tracks her down by finding out whose birthday it is and showing up at the party.
Come on back to ForHappiness! We promise you'll love it!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???