'''Basic Trope''': One half of a couple wants a divorce; the other is reluctant to go through with it.
* '''Straight''': Alice wants a divorce from Bob, but Bob procrastinates about signing the papers.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob flat out ''refuses'' to sign the papers.
* '''Downplayed''': ???
** Bob still has feelings for Alice, and/or wants to try and see if they can go through marriage counselling and "make it work."
** Bob doesn't believe in divorce.
** Alice wants Bob to propose marriage to her, but Bob is (for whatever reason(s)) dragging his feet about it.
** As soon as Alice mentions that possibility of divorce, Bob is ready to sign the paper, even if Alice does not have them.
** The deadline is fast approaching, and though the papers are unsigned, it's because Bob has been busy and forgot about them.
** Or, Bob confronts Alice, and they agree that instead of divorcing, they will try couples' counselling first.
* '''Double Subverted''': It turns out Bob still has feelings for Alice, and has been using "being swamped with work" as an excuse for avoiding the issue.
* '''Parodied''': [[NoYouHangUpFirst "No, you sign the papers first!"]]
* '''Zig Zagged''': ???
** AliceAndBob are HappilyMarried, or at least not getting a divorce.
** Bob signs the papers right away.
* '''Enforced''': "We need to segue into a drawn-out romance arc, with an Alice-Bob-Charles LoveTriangle."
* '''Lampshaded''': "I need him to sign those [[PrecisionFStrike Goddamned, fucking]] papers! Otherwise, Charles and I can't get married!"
* '''Invoked''': Alice gets involved with Charles, but she wants to get her LazyHusband Bob out of the way.
* '''Exploited''': Bob is extremely controlling, so refusing to sign the papers is one last way for him to push Alice around.
** Bob signs the papers right away, because he wants the divorce as badly as Alice does.
** AliceAndBob agree to try counselling before getting a divorce.
* '''Discussed''': "Bob's not going to sign those divorce papers."
* '''Conversed''': "Ever notice how on TV, the guys are slow to get into a marriage, and even slower to get out of one, than the girls are? What's up with that?"
* '''Deconstructed''': See "Double Subverted".
* '''Reconstructed''': AliceAndBob talk about their issues, and either reconsider the divorce (and work through their problems), or agree that [[IWantMyBelovedToBeHappy it's better to just end it]].
Back to FootDraggingDivorcee
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???