'''Basic Trope''': An enemy blinks with a different color when hit.
* '''Straight''': The enemy blinks white when hit.
* '''Exaggerated''': When the enemy is hit, the whole screen blinks in white color.
* '''Downplayed''': Only the touched body part blinks.
** The player's weapon is designed so it makes the enemies emit a luminescent glow.
** The foes are aliens, and brightly flashing bioluminescence is [[BizarreAlienBiology part of their reaction to pain.]]
** The enemy blinks white when it regains health.
** The enemy is always blinking white, except when hit.
** When enemy doesn't take any damage, it makes a high pitched sound to indicate that its vulnerable point wasn't attacked.
* '''Subverted''': In the non-interactive tutorial, it's clearly seen that the enemy blinks in a different color when hit. When the enemy is hit ingame, it does not blink in a different color.
* '''Double Subverted''': When the enemy is hit, it does not blink in a different color, but that's because it was being hit in an armored area and therefore not taking any damage.
** All Mooks and bosses are required to pour a strange paint over themselves, which makes a flash every time they're hit. [[InvincibleMinorMinion Only certain ones do not]].
** One of the bosses is an extremely busty giantess in skimpy clothing, and every hit causes a wardrobe malfunction, and hence, a hit-flash.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The robots flash when hit, organic enemies just explode into HighPressureBlood
* '''Averted''': The enemies don't flash when hitting them.
* '''Enforced''': The game creator is forced to make the enemies flash white when damaged, or else others would find his game too different/boring/tough and boycott it.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Why do I always keep flashing with white color when hit?"
* '''Invoked''': The Mooks and bosses are sick and tired of getting hit without noticing the damage (and hence dying without noticing), so they develop the ability to flash white in order to notice that they are under attack.
* '''Exploited''': The boss or Mooks are fought in a very dark cave, so the hero finds out where they are by using and AOE attack to damage the lot, causing each individual Mook to flash.
* '''Defied''': The final boss covers himself in hitflash-dampening paint, in order to prevent the player from knowing when they're doing damage.
* '''Discussed''': "Why is it enemies keep flashing when I hit them?"
* '''Conversed''': "Y'know that hitflash effect all these games have?"
* '''Deconstructed''': Every time a hero uses his [[GatlingGood gatling gun]] or BeamSpam or DeathOfAThousandCuts move on a boss, he/she gets a seizure from the rapid flashes caused by the opponent.
* '''Reconstructed''': In order to be able to legitimately use rapid-hitting moves, heroes using them are required to not be seizure prone. That way, they can stand the rapid flashes when they attack an enemy.
* '''Played For Laughs''': A mook says something stupid, and his commander gives him a DopeSlap, causing him to hitflash.
* '''Necessary Weasel''': Everyone expects VideoGame enemies to flash or show a hurt animation when damaged.
* '''Untwisted''': The enemy does not seem to flash when hit, but actually does- it just glows with the colour of UV light and therefore cannot be seen.
Ow! [[FlashOfPain That hurts, you idiot!]]
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???