'''Basic Trope''': A seemingly important character very suddenly leaves the story or is killed un-climatically.
* '''Straight''': The character of Alice has previously been set up to be an important side-character, having been given both some degree of CharacterDevelopment and several hints of an expansive subplot centred around her. But in the new season opener, Alice suddenly drives off road in her car and sinks in a nearby river. Back to the action!
** Alice suffers ChuckCunninghamSyndrome. A few seasons later, as our heroes are walking though a cemetery, we see Alice's tombstone, but the heroes don't notice.
** Alice is the ''protagonist''.
** Alice is the ''antagonist''.
* '''Downplayed''': A whole dramatic scene is given to Alice's death and mourning of her companions. Although after ten minutes in the spotlight, her death is treated as if she'd just scraped her knee.
** Alice was just an RecurringExtra or a MauveShirt.
** Or the writer is trying to make a point about how sudden and random death can be, and how not everyone can have a big, climactic, meaningful death scene.
** The lightness is a plot point, having people not notice Alice's death will later be part of the story.
** In a video game it was a player choice, and the light death was either "an accident" set up or the player's choices in the game led up to it.
** Alice makes a HeroicSacrifice under a bridge, complete with NoOneCouldHaveSurvivedThat.
** Alternatively, Alice dies dramatically and then comes back from the dead to no fanfare.
* '''Subverted''': The superhero comes just in time to save Alice from drowning in the river.
* '''Double Subverted''': But then Bob drives off road and knocks Alice back in the water. Back to the action!
** Alice is constantly ignored, culminating in this trope.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice drowns in a river to no remorse of the other characters. She soon comes back as a ghost, and everyone suddenly feels apologetic for her death, and throws her a 'proper' funeral with her found body. She then promptly disappears from the series for no reason, and nobody ever mentions her ghost nor her funeral again.
** Alice is given a climactic death.
** Alice doesn't die at all.
** "Nobody likes funerals. Let's just not give Alice one, she wasn't the title character anyway."
** The actress who plays Alice is leaving the show for good, and they need a way to get rid of the character without taking up a lot of time.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Alice was found dead in the river". "How anticlimactic".
* '''Invoked''': "Let's go murder Alice, I'm sure no one will make a fuss about it".
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': Alice drowns in a river, and nobody mentions her after the fact -- except ''Bob'', who is sincerely sorry for her death and practically abandons the group in mourning for a couple of weeks.
** "Hey, Dave, I haven't seen Alice in a while, have you?" "Eh, who cares, she wasn't very important anyway". "Yea, you're right. Wanna get some pizza?"
** "Hey, Dave, Alice's obituary is in the paper." "Well, that's sad... I guess." "Also, the Packers got robbed by the Giants last night!" "[[SincerityMode Holy moley! Those are terrible news!]]"
* '''Conversed''': "And jeez, do you remember that one time in this show where Alice died, and nobody gave a damn?"
* '''Deconstructed''': Many, many characters get bridges dropped on them in the series, leading the main characters to be paranoid of leaving their houses in fear of being killed suddenly.
* '''Reconstructed''': The main characters realize that life is worth the risk of a bridge falling on them, and leave their houses to continue their adventures. May or may not have bridges drop on the characters anyway, depending on the work.
Back to DroppedABridgeOnHim... Before the mods lock it permanently without any warning nor sensible explanation![[note]](Those sneaky [[CurseCutShort bast-]])[[/note]]
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Intended Audience Reaction''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???