'''Basic Trope''': A character's father is missing or absent
* '''Straight''': Bob's father is absent from his life.
** Bob doesn't even know his father.
** Many characters seem not to have fathers.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob's father is around [[WhenYouComingHomeDad but emotionally distant, and/or always too busy]] to be a part of his life.
** He's dead.
** He lives far away.
** Bob's mother was never married; Bob was either adopted or an illegitimate child.
* '''Inverted''': Bob is the one who is completely absent from his father's life for reasons out of either of their control.
* '''Gender Inverted''': MissingMom.
* '''Subverted''': It initially seems like Bob's dad is never about, but then we see him and his father having a good time together, and showing that they are quite close. Apparently the dad was just at work all this time [[FridgeHorror or something]].
* '''Double Subverted''': Until the villains kill the dad.
* '''Parodied''': All the family photos have Bob's father cut out from them.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Perhaps because his work is seasonal, sometimes Bob's dad is at home and always there for him, and other times his dad is absent for long streches and completely out of touch with Bob.
* '''Averted''': Bob's dad is always there for him, regardless of what happens.
* '''Enforced''': One of the writers was born after his father died (or his parents were divorced), and he decides to apply this aspect of his life to a character.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Mommy, what happened to Papa?"
* '''Invoked''': Bob's dad purposefully walked out of his son's life, perhaps because he thought he would be a bad influence on Bob.
* '''Exploited''': The villain tries to use Bob's father's absence to induce a breakdown in Bob.
* '''Defied''': Bob's dad goes to great lengths to be a part of his son's life, regardless of what the world throws at him.
* '''Discussed''': "Where is Bob's father? It's almost scary that we've never seen him."
* '''Conversed''': "Why doesn't that kid have a father? Are we to believe he was adopted or what?"
* '''Implied''': Despite him being a kid, Bob's dad is never brought up in any way, shape or form, leading the audience to belive that this was the case.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Bob's father is a deadbeat who still lives nearby, but goes to great lengths to avoid his ex-wife and son.
* '''Played For Drama''': In a Father's Day episode, most characters are shown bonding with their fathers, and everyone sympathizes with Bob, who feels left out because his father is dead.
Dad, if you get this, come find me at DisappearedDad. I miss you.
%% Optional items, added after Implied, at your discretion:
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???